• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A few questions about growing..

solid7 said:
Coco is great for seed starting, so nothing wasted.  You can literally plant seeds in pure coco for seed starts.  And, as if the coco wasn't forgiving enough, the depth of the solo cups make it almost impossible to overwater.  You really don't need to bottom water coco, though, and I'd absolutely recommend against it, for seedlings.  If you are, in any way, going to be able to overwater coco, that's how you'd be able to accomplish it.  Plus, it can/does grow mold, being constantly saturated.   I've seen it, done it, and am absolutely not ambivalent about recommending against bottom watering seed starts in coco.
If your raised bed is open on the bottom, you've got the closest thing that there is to growing in earth.  There will be no problems with drainage - providing that you aren't sitting on top of some impermeable substrate.  You get all the advantages of an in-ground garden, but with localized premium grow media.  Your plan for filling them sounds fine, but definitely go find nursery mix.  I put all sorts of rotten wood and things in my beds.  I don't think you need to go too crazy with multiple ingredients if you find that nursery mix.  It's going to break down just fine, and any good nursery mix will already have a fairly significant amount of partially/fully composted material.
If you don't like the idea of companion/layered planting, consider mulching with yard waste.  I do that so often in another section of my garden, that I'm considering buying a quality shredder this year, and never sending anything to the landfill again.
I will absolutely go contact my local nursery's for mix. A few have already gotten back to me and have nothing for raised beds. I am waiting for one in particular that offers bulk mulch, local made compost, soil conditioner and more. I'm most hopeful that they have one. If they don't, I'll look more into making one. It does seem like with a bottomless one, it doesn't have to be anything super specific.

I did have a question about size. I was thinking about a 4x8 or two depending on how bulk the medium ends up being. But how tall? I saw people say taller is better, but I assume that mostly means for closed bottom raised beds. Would 8-12" work for a bottomless?

mattbhm said:
Would 8-12" work for a bottomless?

Absolutely.  All day, every day, year in, year out.
Here's how I built mine:
50638821607_abe64259a9_z.jpg

solid7 said:

Absolutely.  All day, every day, year in, year out.
Here's how I built mine:
50638821607_abe64259a9_z.jpg
Interesting! I planned on going with 2x8 or 2x12s but I may look into bricks! More time to start but I'm sure they'll hold up longer!

mattbhm said:
Interesting! I planned on going with 2x8 or 2x12s but I may look into bricks! More time to start but I'm sure they'll hold up longer!

I don't mortar mine.  They are just stacked.  I live on sand, and in a sub-tropical climate.  There's no point in fighting against moving ground or corrosion/decay.  Just stack 'em and go.  Besides, mine are sitting atop a septic field, and they need to be easy to move, should the worst occur.
Each 4X8 bed cost me approximately $30 to build.  Pretty darn good value for money, if you ask me.

solid7 said:

I don't mortar mine.  They are just stacked.  I live on sand, and in a sub-tropical climate.  There's no point in fighting against moving ground or corrosion/decay.  Just stack 'em and go.  Besides, mine are sitting atop a septic field, and they need to be easy to move, should the worst occur.
Each 4X8 bed cost me approximately $30 to build.  Pretty darn good value for money, if you ask me.
I asked around. My biggest local nursery/landscaping place had bulk raised bed mix for $60/cubic yard. Is that a fair price overall?

Also I decided to go the cinder block route like you. I'll be picking them up next week once I get the ground leveled.

mattbhm said:
I asked around. My biggest local nursery/landscaping place had bulk raised bed mix for $60/cubic yard. Is that a fair price overall?

Also I decided to go the cinder block route like you. I'll be picking them up next week once I get the ground leveled.

That's on OK price.  Usually they overshoot a bit, anyway.  But without knowing who "they" are, that's obviously just a generalization.

solid7 said:

That's on OK price.  Usually they overshoot a bit, anyway.  But without knowing who "they" are, that's obviously just a generalization.
Sounds good. I'll probably get it. Takes the guess work out and even using top soil from my local landscape place and the Coco I bought, it's not even that much more expensive.

I'll ask and see what's actually in it, but seeing as it's "soil ready for raised beds" it should be fertilized and everything right? Just do the weekly or every other week feedings with fish emulsion?

Thanks for all your help once again!

mattbhm said:
Sounds good. I'll probably get it. Takes the guess work out and even using top soil from my local landscape place and the Coco I bought, it's not even that much more expensive.

I'll ask and see what's actually in it, but seeing as it's "soil ready for raised beds" it should be fertilized and everything right? Just do the weekly or every other week feedings with fish emulsion?

Thanks for all your help once again!

Ask the nursery how they recommend using it, when applied to an *on ground* raised bed.  Be very specific about that.  If they tell you there's no difference, come back and we'll figure it out.  Otherwise, follow their instructions.  If they use it, I promise you that it works.
I'm just finishing up my own installations.  Got the nursery cloth cleared, old beds out, and am tamping down the last 2 planters, even as I write this.  Well, I'm taking a break, obviously.
I used to have pine bark on top of the nursery cloth.  Problem is, as it gets old and breaks down, it's one of the best growing mediums on the planet.  So weed city.  I have pre-filled the bottom the other planters with old pine bark, and the weeds that were growing in it.  It's deep enough that it will never again see the light of day, once the planters are filled.
50808196652_fbff247cda_z.jpg

solid7 said:

Ask the nursery how they recommend using it, when applied to an *on ground* raised bed.  Be very specific about that.  If they tell you there's no difference, come back and we'll figure it out.  Otherwise, follow their instructions.  If they use it, I promise you that it works.
I'm just finishing up my own installations.  Got the nursery cloth cleared, old beds out, and am tamping down the last 2 planters, even as I write this.  Well, I'm taking a break, obviously.
I used to have pine bark on top of the nursery cloth.  Problem is, as it gets old and breaks down, it's one of the best growing mediums on the planet.  So weed city.  I have pre-filled the bottom the other planters with old pine bark, and the weeds that were growing in it.  It's deep enough that it will never again see the light of day, once the planters are filled.
50808196652_fbff247cda_z.jpg
I'll stop by and ask them tomorrow what they recommend doing with it in an open bottom raised bed. I'll report back ASAP.

Those look great! I think to make it easier with the fewest amount of loads possible, I'm going to make two 4x12 raised beds. I was going with one 4x8 but so that I can cut down on the amount of loads(because I'd probably build a second next year) I decided to go with two. And 12ft just seemed smarter because it fits fine in my space.

I had one more question I've been considering. Do you recommend just hand watering, or do you do irrigation? Any recommendations? I've always hand watered but it is a bit annoying. I can get the irrigation equipment cheaply through a friend but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Thanks!

mattbhm said:
I think to make it easier with the fewest amount of loads possible, I'm going to make two 4x12 raised beds. 

I had one more question I've been considering. Do you recommend just hand watering, or do you do irrigation? Any recommendations? I've always hand watered but it is a bit annoying. I can get the irrigation equipment cheaply through a friend but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

I would have made them longer, but I have some very rare and expensive plumerias in that space.  I don't want to move them.  But yes.  Longer is better.  Less space consumed by partitions and walk space.  In the one long planter, I kept a plumeria, and put some terra cotta drainage tubes around it.
I really don't have to water mine at all. It rains enough during the summer to never need to water my raised beds.  And that, is owing to the fact that I used a mix that's almost completely composted pine bark.  Don't know how that stuff works so well, but it's incredible.  Even when it's soaking wet, it never has overwatering problems, or root rot issues.  Only the top inch or so ever dry out.

But to answer your question -- just simple irrigation, plumbed out of either a sprinkler system, or hooked to a spigot on a timer, with funny pipe.  Micro drips, sprays, whatever you like.  Anything goes.  You can even run standing risers with PVC.  Just anything.  

solid7 said:
But to answer your question -- just simple irrigation, plumbed out of either a sprinkler system, or hooked to a spigot on a timer, with funny pipe.  Micro drips, sprays, whatever you like.  Anything goes.  You can even run standing risers with PVC.  Just anything.  
Yeah, my plan if I irrigate is just going to be some yardbird drips/sprayers hooked into a timer on a spigot. I have a lot of parts already and like I said I can get the rest of what I need for cheap. I just feel like it would be easier than a watering can every other day in the hot months. I'd probably still hand water with the fish emulsion weekly or whenever.

Thanks for the help!

solid7 said:
Hey, I got behind so I didn't make it out to the nursery but I should tomorrow. I was wondering, do you have any opinions on an inline fertilizer? Like this one, https://www.dripdepot.com/item/ez-flo-fertilizing-system-size-three-quarter-gallon

From some research it seems like daily "micro-feedings" work great compared to weekly heavier feedings. Plus it would mean everything runs through my irrigation. At the same time, it's added cost and complexity.

mattbhm said:
Hey, I got behind so I didn't make it out to the nursery but I should tomorrow. I was wondering, do you have any opinions on an inline fertilizer? Like this one, https://www.dripdepot.com/item/ez-flo-fertilizing-system-size-three-quarter-gallon

From some research it seems like daily "micro-feedings" work great compared to weekly heavier feedings. Plus it would mean everything runs through my irrigation. At the same time, it's added cost and complexity.

My opinion is that it's insane for a hobby grower.  Peppers are just too easy, and too forgiving, to bother with all that.  Unless you are an actual scientist, and have a super short growing season, it's not worth the hassle.  IMO, of course.
Nutrients are given far too much air time in growing circles.  They're literally one of the least important things.  As long as there is enough there to keep the plant fed, the plant will be fed.  People try different things to "hack" pepper production.  But slow and steady wins the race, with Capsicum.
Save your money for shade cloth.

solid7 said:

My opinion is that it's insane for a hobby grower.  Peppers are just too easy, and too forgiving, to bother with all that.  Unless you are an actual scientist, and have a super short growing season, it's not worth the hassle.  IMO, of course.
Nutrients are given far too much air time in growing circles.  They're literally one of the least important things.  As long as there is enough there to keep the plant fed, the plant will be fed.  People try different things to "hack" pepper production.  But slow and steady wins the race, with Capsicum.
Sounds good to me!

solid7 said:

So I talked to them, the person in charge said that for a closed bed she would add extra organic compost/black kow if it was a closed bottom. Also add some fertilizer for an open bottom if the base under-garden soil is not very good. She said neither would really need any kind of add-ins for water retention or anything.

Not sure if that's a good answer or no. I'll wait to hear back from you before doing anything.

Thanks!

The fact that they actually acknowledged that there is a difference between open and closed bottom beds, is reason enough for me to believe that you should take their advice, as given.

Remember, you are dealing with people who make money from growing IN YOUR AREA.  As long as they even have a partial clue, that opinion should trump this internet rando. :D

solid7 said:
Remember, you are dealing with people who make money from growing IN YOUR AREA.  As long as they even have a partial clue, that opinion should trump this internet rando. :D
Sounds good! I'll go with what they say then!

I think you said you start in solo cups too right? I was wondering, what trays do you use to carry them? Do you use trays with drainage holes? Stacked trays? I want to be able to leave them inside of course. I'm only seeing super overpriced 1020 trays on Amazon. I'll get them if need be, but I want to be sure that's the best option.

Thanks!

mattbhm said:
I think you said you start in solo cups too right? I was wondering, what trays do you use to carry them? Do you use trays with drainage holes? Stacked trays? I want to be able to leave them inside of course. I'm only seeing super overpriced 1020 trays on Amazon. I'll get them if need be, but I want to be sure that's the best option.

I put them in the freebie throw away trays that small square nursery pots come in!  I put those trays inside of a drywall mixing tub.

Back