• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A ? for those who isolate by bagging

Downriver

Extreme Member
What size bag do you use?

Thought I'd try isolating via bag this year. I'm getting ready to buy some, but I don't want to get too small or too large.

Any other tips with the process are welcome.

I have tried the organza bags before and didn't have any luck with them. Nearly all flowers dropped due the heat that builds up inside. Plus I would see small bees get stuck in the bag, so it wasn't isolating very well.

The method I prefer is using elmers glue to keep the flower from opening. Apply when flower is fully enlarged but not yet open and mark flower with a string. If glue fails to keep flower closed, remove the string. This was the most successful method I have tried so far.

I had moderate success using them. I did have bloom drop as well. Had two sizes 3 x 5 and 5 x 7 inch. Liked the bigger ones better.

Mike

I have tried the organza bags before and didn't have any luck with them. Nearly all flowers dropped due the heat that builds up inside. Plus I would see small bees get stuck in the bag, so it wasn't isolating very well.

The method I prefer is using elmers glue to keep the flower from opening. Apply when flower is fully enlarged but not yet open and mark flower with a string. If glue fails to keep flower closed, remove the string. This was the most successful method I have tried so far.
Happy to hear this method is successful. It's certainly cheaper! Having kids, there's always Elmer's glue and string around here :lol:

The "Organza" bags are available in bulk prices if you look at enough google hits. I found that 20 or 30 is plenty for 150-200 plants. Hobby Lobby's or Micheal's will have 10 packs in the weddings section. Pricey though. Something like 10-12 bucks a pack.

Mike

I had moderate success using them. I did have bloom drop as well. Had two sizes 3 x 5 and 5 x 7 inch. Liked the bigger ones better.
Mike

Thanks Mike for the info. I have heard blossom drop can be a problem, but thought I might give bagging a try anyway.

Thanks for the link mmcdermott1, but I'll probably order from here.

Organza Bags Wholesale

It doesn't pull it off, but the problem I had when I used teabags was I either tied the string a little too tight and damaged the flowers or too loose and the teabag fell off. I don't have the gentlest touch so it wasn't effective for me.

jacob

yes,

"but the problem I had when"

i think "DUCT TAPE WOULD FIX THAT" :dance:

applies for this kind of situation

i am glad y'all are gonna try to do some isolations

i saw some pictures in one of these forums that someone was using drinking straws

cut into little one inch or so pieces for some markers or maybe to help hold the bags on?

it may have/be a neat little trick involved? :lol:

Back