• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

seeds A germination question

Does anyone know how long chocolate bhuts take to germinate over other varieties? I started off red, yellow and Chocolate at the same time, the reds and yellows had germinated after a week and another week later and I'm still waiting on the chocs, now I know I have to be real patient, especially with the bhuts, but is there normally such a wide gap between these varieties?

I think it must depend on the seed source. I also started red, yellow and chocolate at the same time and the reds are taking longer for me. I bought all the seeds from the same source. 13 of 14 came up for both yellow and chocolate :) , and only 5 of 14 for the reds :( .

I didn't get any Chocolate bhuts this year, so I can't really comment on them. But in my little germination neighborhood, I'm a little confused too. So far, my bhuts, nagas, bondas, trinidads and ajis are all popping up. But my red savina and chocolate habs are showing zero signs of life. Same for the fatalis. I'm nearing the two week mark, so I'm not terribly nervous and I've got extra seeds.

It's pretty interesting to watch and worry over.

I soaked my chocolate, indian carbon and yellow bhuts on Dec 13, i planted 1 of each in soil and 1 of each in rockwool for my dwc on dec 14.
Indian carbon(red) rockwool popped dec 19, soil dec 23.
yellow bhut rockwool popped dec 24, soil dec 30.
chocolate bhut rockwool pooped(pun intended) Dec 25, soil Jan 3.

all seeds were from pepperlover.

Never used rockwool. I just got 100% with peat pellets on Carbon's. Gotta be doing SOMETHING right. Some just take longer than others. Gotta be the conditions I guess.

I'm about 1/10 on chocolate bhuts after ~3 weeks (I know the 1 is correct, not exactly sure about the 10). Douglahs, I'm about 3/10 in 3 weeks. Chocolate habanero, I'm 0/10 after 3 weeks. Seeds are from THSC. I got great germination on all other superhots, and a few wilds too. Not sure what is up with the chocolates, but I'm getting really bad results. Almost all my bhut jolokias, ajis, and scorpions popped in about 6-10 days. White habaneros aren't doing too well either, 4 popped after a few weeks all with very skinny cotyledons, then shriveled up over the next week. The one survivor has skinny cotyledons and is looking somewhat sickly.

I started a few more of all the struggling varieties, and this time soaked them for ~24-36 hours first, hopefully that will help.

Hmm, seems almost random to me, all my seeds came from the same source and all received the same treatment (saltpetre soak, then into seed mix in a heated propagator)
I'll just wait and see, just seemed odd that three out of five of both my reds and yellows would come up on the same day yet a I'm still waiting on what is quite a similar variety.

Another Douglah popped, so that's 4/10 now. I agree on being patient, especially with these. They seem to take several weeks for a lot of people. Still 0 for 10 on Neil's Congo Black/chocolate habs after 3+ weeks, not sure why. Maybe the seeds were frozen during shipping and that slowed them down or something. I planted 5 more chocolate habs from pepperlover and they all sprouted within a week.

Edit: Finally got a chocolate hab to sprout. :woohoo:

Yeah i got a another red bhut today which was a surprise because I'd taken them out of the propagator (to damp in there for the seedlings) and they're on a windowsill, still really cold on there as well!

Back