• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A Guatemalan Grow Log

OK, so I got my new hot house from Hydrofarm and I have to say I am pretty excited. They were so nice they even sent me some free coco plugs. So, this last saturday I planted 72 seeds:

15 Bhut Jolokia (courtesy of Talas)
15 Naga Morich (I can't remember who sent these to me)
18 Dorset Naga (Ebay)
3 Aribibi Gusano (Once again, Talas)
5 Trinidad Scorpion (Talas yet again)
6 Golden Habanero (Talas)
12 Fatali (Tradewinds Fruit)

First, I soaked the seeds overnight in a weak chamomille infusion. Before I soaked I checked PH and temp. Is a chamomille infusion supposed to have so high PH, or is my ph meter not working correctly?
06022009376.jpg

Then I added some water to the coco plugs and watched the magic. Those suckers do expand!
07022009377.jpg

And then when all seeds were planted I put the dome on and immediately a mist started to build up.
07022009378.jpg

Now I am a bit afraid as I am with all new technology. Mostly I am afraid that things are too humid inside my dome. I guess I will see what happens. Any advice from people who use this same propagator is welcome. Happy growing to alland thank you Talas for making this happen for me!

Did you measure the pH of your tap water? Where I live our water comes from a limestone aquifer, since limestone is a base I'm pretty sure that's why my tap water is a little over pH 8.

And don't worry about the humidity in the dome, 100% is fine for seedlings/germination. Just watch that the center cells don't dry out while all the water condenses on the sides and runs into the cells around the edges.

If you do run into any problems with mold from the light/humidity, a bit of hydrogen peroxide diluted in water will clear it right up.

Good luck Andre! Be sure to post lots of pictures

you should start seeing signs of life in the next couple of days don't you think?

Well... I spend a lot of time at work. But I do call my wife every few hours to check for any progress. Once I'm home I will check every 30 minutes or so until I fall asleep. I even wake up in the middle of the night to see how things are going.

AJ, I have to say Im a bit nervous. Seeds are a bit old (6-12 months) and this is the first time I try this. I just hope it works.

andres said:
AJ, I have to say Im a bit nervous. Seeds are a bit old (6-12 months) and this is the first time I try this. I just hope it works.

Seeds stay viable for several years man, no worries about the age.

Nice Guatamala. A lot of wild peppers there??? They found a lot of them in those regions.

Nice list btw

Txclosetgrower said:
Seeds stay viable for several years man, no worries about the age.

Thanks for the tip.

lee said:
Nice Guatamala. A lot of wild peppers there??? They found a lot of them in those regions.

Nice list btw

Yes, there are a lot of wild varieties. Most of them are called Chiltepes as if they were one type of chile, but the shapes and taste varies from type to type. I have collected two types: one from a huge 16ft bush and another from a small bush that had an unbvelievable quantity of peppers. I will send this week for the parcel that goes around and hopefully someone will hatch those babies this year.

Well... it seems that turning the heat mat at night has helped some of the seeds into hatching. Out of 72 cells, only two are showing signs of life. Still, its better than nothing but I hope more will awaken this week

Cool! You have to start with one andres so you're off and running. Some of the seeds you planted could take 30 days plus to break out of the soil. Just keep doing what you're doing and be patient. I'm pretty sure by the end of this week you'll have a bunch of babies.

Best of luck to you man.

Back