• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial A Guide for Cloning Pepper Plants

I'm a little bit late to the party, but I read on another post from a few years back that a clone of a clone could potentially have less desirable traits. Is this true? Say I have a beautiful strain that I want to keep alive. Do I need to keep the mother plant alive, or can I clone clones for the rest of my life? Based on what I understand about genetics (very little) the clones should have exact same DNA (minus a few mutations here and there) so a clone of a clone should be virtually identical. Am I wrong?

Mene said:
I'm a little bit late to the party, but I read on another post from a few years back that a clone of a clone could potentially have less desirable traits. Is this true? Say I have a beautiful strain that I want to keep alive. Do I need to keep the mother plant alive, or can I clone clones for the rest of my life? Based on what I understand about genetics (very little) the clones should have exact same DNA (minus a few mutations here and there) so a clone of a clone should be virtually identical. Am I wrong?
I've read it's better keeping the plant that you grew from seed as a mother plant. I don't know if it's true or not.

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
I've read it's better keeping the plant that you grew from seed as a mother plant. I don't know if it's true or not.
Well, I will keep a mother, and I will clone a clone for a few seasons and see what happens I guess. I'll let you know in a couple of years! haha

sp33d said:
Figured I would add that if someone can build an AACT brewer you can bulld yourself a cloner/seed germinator for cloning for around $20-$30....

Old plant pot (laying around garage)
Spray manifold with nozzles (made with black tubing from hydro store or Lowe's, nozzles from hydro store)
350gph Water pump (hydro store)
Laminate (Lowe's)
2"net pots (hydro store)
2" hole cutter (Lowe's or laying around in your garage)
Plastic knobs...Lowe's or laying around in your garage)

Boom you will have near 98-99% success...
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Are you the guy who makes/sells Clone-king? Looks exactly like setup I've seen online. I've thinking about getting one of these, looks very practical. 
http://harriganshydroponicsandsupply.com/shop/aeroponics-cloner-systems-accessories/the-clone-king-25-site-aeroponic-cloning-machine/

IMO a "cloner" is a waste of money, even if its just $30 to build one..maybe if growing pot its worth the invest..

just buy rooting plugs, dirt cheap and just use a bit of hormone and stick stem inside plug and throw the plant inside a clear bag and that's basically it. no need to even water more than once as the plug stays moist well after it's rooted as long as you put it inside a bag with the cutting. the pepper plants root faster than a cloner because the use of hormone, i've rooted peppers in about 9-10 days this way, without hormone it can take 20+ days..

and don't bother giving them any light.. indirect light works best as direct lighting just makes them take longer to root because the plant has to work harder to get water up the stem to the leaves since it doesn't have any roots.

at the local hydro store i get a 50 pack for 50 cuttings for less than 10 bucks they last me several years.. (rock wool will also work, but i prefer these which are made of tree bark) they even already come pre-moist so no even less fussing.

71VnVR-92IL._SL1200_.jpg

I sure am glad nobody told me cloning was so complicated. I wouldn't have my first five 2 year old clone plants growing now. I found out purely by accident how dirt simple it really is.

1) Whack off bigass branches with many pods in November while cutting plants back to fit in winter shelter.
2) Put branches in a tall pitcher of water.
3) Park the pitcher on a south-facing windowsill and hope all the pods ripen.
4) Change the water once in a while as the pods ripen.
5) Pick and eat pods as they all ripen.
6) Notice leaves keep growing and sticks keep on flowering and growing tiny pods.
7) Notice in February tiny roots are finally starting to grow..
8) Plant into dirt in April when sticks have large masses of roots.

Back