• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A little help chooseing plants

I found someone in my area that has plants for sale, I'm not real knowledgeable about the taste and heat levels of the plants though I know most of them are pretty hot so I'm going with flavor, here is the list of plants which would you say has the best flavor also heat, I can't get all of them so I have to choose about 4.

Bhut Jolokia "ghost" red, white and purple
- 7 pod- Brain Strain red and yellow, Barrackpore, Jonah,
- Naga Morich
- Scotch Bonnet red and yellow
- Fatali
- Tepin
- Chocolate Habanero

Thanks for your input.

If you are going for flavor and heat is not an issue, I would chose the Scotch Bonnet Red first. It has a great flavor, and a manageable (habanero level) heat. Next, I think that everyone should have Fataliis growing in their garden because, again, they aren't SUPER level but they pack a punch and have a great flavor. For the last 2, I would go Jonah and then Yellow BS. Jonah because it is my favorite and BS red or yellow. Red is gonna be hotter than the yellow, so you can chose.

SB Red
Fatalii
Jonah
BS Red or Yellow

Flavor and heat are important, but productivity is also a major factor for me.

- yellow brain (very tasty)
- barrackpore (very productive)
- naga morich (very productive)
- fatalli (very tasty)

Really, the only ones on the list I would personally stay away from are white and purple bhuts.

Since you mentioned flavor + heat.

Fatalii, a no brainer choice, extremely strong flavor + stronger than Habanero heat. For me they are less prone to disease as well.

Scotch Bonnet, great tasting fresh, in a mash, and even powder. Workhorses that never go to waste.

Are Tepins the same as bird peppers?  I really appreciate the input, I've always been kind of shallow about  peppers and after reading about the Fatali on here I knew it was going to be on my list. I had a few peppers given to me last year and one of them I was told was a yellow hab but it wasn't shaped like a traditional hab, it had an extremely good flavor almost a sweet citrus taste which was the first thing you noticed then a nice level of heat and now I'm wondering if it was a fatali.

I would pick Naga Morich, Choc Hab and Tepin (amazing smoky flavor, different from generic bird peppers).

Cya

Datil

Fremp said:
Did you take a pic of the Not yellow Hab?
Pod shape?
No but I did take some time after posting this to look at some pics and it looks like the Fatali if so then it was probably good that I kept the seeds

- Scotch Bonnet red
- Fatali
- Tepin
- Chocolate Habanero

those are all good eating peppers, if you need something to melt your face off you can always buy a sfrb of pods!

Back