• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

pests A mitey pest

Well, last year I became inundated with red spider mites which seemed to coincide with me adding homemade compost to my plants. So my question is should I refrain from using my own compost or is it unlikely that these pests came from the depths of my compost bin?

Cheers

***Just thought I should add the mites completely destroyed alot of my plants in the greenhouse last year***

Mamsoth said:
Well, last year I became inundated with red spider mites which seemed to coincide with me adding homemade compost to my plants. So my question is should I refrain from using my own compost or is it unlikely that these pests came from the depths of my compost bin?

Cheers

***Just thought I should add the mites completely destroyed alot of my plants in the greenhouse last year***

Preditory mites will pwn spidy mites, especialy in a greenhouse. Most likely they came from a plant that you put in to your compost pile.
Fungus gnat larva will also fall victum to preditory mites.
Go to Biobest and look at products, they list all the bugs they have and what they kill.

I have millions of them all over. I notice every Spring with the first warm up I see them all over every surface. I have never noticed them doing any plant damage, guess I should inspect closer. 

Cayennemist said:
Preditory mites will pwn spidy mites, especialy in a greenhouse.

+1

While I've never dealt with spider mites before, I've had great results using predatory mites (Neoseiulus californicus) against the broad mite here. In fact, the use of predatory mites has turned out to be the most effective form of control I have found against the broad mite bastages yet.

I really dislike mites they are really bad here and last year in Oct. they covered the oak trees, one resin I'm growing Hot peppers to make an oil spray for them darn things...    

Thanks for the great replies, thats a brilliant idea about the predatory mites, I'm gonna look into getting some straight away. My aubergines got absolutely slaughtered by these things, so i'm afraid it is now time for them to die : )

Back