• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc A patent that could destroy Monsanto?

Very interesting article! Waiting for some input. Nice find interested to know if my farmer friends know of it.
Thanks RocketMan

Think the writer gets paid by the number of times Monsanto is mentioned? If this were cheaper and/or longer lasting than current production-scale pesticide regimes, why hasn't it been adopted on a larger scale? And why does this article appear nearly word-for-word and exclusively on Monsanto-bashing websites?

Not a fan of Monsanto, but, as the old commercial said, "It is not nice to fool Mother Nature".

While it may be 'natural', it is still toying the balance of things, not unlike Monsanto, who uses chemistry instead.

Sounds/reads like B.S. to me.
Monsanto covers their butts with Lawyers and $.

Context means a lot when posting to the people who just want to be cool.

You include the a total nasty opinion to Monsanto.
I see no wrong with gene splicing (if would be eventually happen in nature).
I do not like the stuff combining genes from whatever being spliced with stuff that would NEVER happen in nature.

See the Tulip fail from Monsanto Hybrids and a FEW other things they developed.

My main concern is a TON of landrace varieties are going to be lost in places because Hybrids produce more pods and are disease resistant.

Lets use Jalapenos as an example.
In Ca. hybrids are cool for the market.
Even at the local Mex. Marts,Hybrids suck.
Look really cool for poppers but have no taste or heat.
They just look REALLY pretty,AND are Cheap.
Disease resistant,high producing NO TASTE peppers of little to no heat OR taste.

BUT in different parts of Mex.,they are loosing the Land Race stuff to Hybrids.
$ is what is involved.

I don't mind Mansanto making Hybrids in general,between varieties in any way they can.
The chile institute does the same with peppers and Tomato grafts...
BUT the round up ready stuff sucks big time along with stuff that genes from a natural crosses could never make sucks.

Just my opinion.worth what you paid for it.

Entomopathogenic fungi are very interesting, but nothing new. Very finicky and require specific Evi Ron mental (thanks autocorrect, that makes much more sense than the way I wrote it....) conditions to work. More suited to greenhouse or indoor growing, where raising humidity or temperature is within the growers control.

Syngenta has been in the biocontrol game for years. I assume Monsanto has similar activities, though I don't believe they've brought a product to market. Stamets is in a league of his own, but it's unlikely this will break the back of Monsanto, when they can just throw money at the problem and join the game late. By the exponential annual growth of the biocontrol industry, it's unlikely they'll do anything else.

Back