• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A pepper growing inside a pepper?

We were cutting up a variety of chillies ready for a sauce and came across this, is this a chilli growing inside a chilli .... and is that normal?! Or should we call Mulder and Scully?

it is not that uncommon at all...I thought it was strange when I first started growing but over the years, I have had hundreds of pods that have "small peppers" inside....

Just this afternoon I was cutting a 7 pot barrackpore open to save the seeds and it had a small pod that was light green
Inside it. Was gonna snap a picture but my hands had capcasin oil on them and did not want to touch nothing.

AlabamaJack said:
it is not that uncommon at all...I thought it was strange when I first started growing but over the years, I have had hundreds of pods that have "small peppers" inside....
 Holy Moly, Batman - AJ's back! Good to see you in these parts!

geeme said:
 Holy Moly, Batman - AJ's back! Good to see you in these parts!

thanks G....good to be back my friend...

ive been a chef for many many years and ive cut into hundreds of peppers of all sorts like this, mostly bells,like AJ said uncommon but not rare. Oh, and I like the gratuitous X- files reference!

Yeah not rare at all. I used to get dozens of these inside Dorset Naga's. If you dry them out they make great heat bombs to throw into whatever it is you are eating at the time. 

Back