• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A Public Service Announcement

Before I bought my dehydrator I threw all my "extra" pods into ziploc bags and then into the freezer. A bit over a week ago I used a pod from the freezer, and speculated about what would happen if I let the seeds from that pod dry out and then attempted to germinate them. So I decided to give it a whirl - after letting the seeds dry for several days, dampened a paper towel, put four seeds inside it into a ziploc, put it on top of the fridge, then walked away. They were put into the ziploc less than a week ago.

I told a few folks about this, and most assured me the seeds would not sprout. I was given the description that the freezing would expand the inside of the seeds to the point they would basically explode internally, that even if there was no visible sign of this from the outside, that would be what was going on inside of them. I explained my hypothesis that seeds must freeze in nature - the ground here certainly freezes to a certain depth - and since they survive in a frozen state in nature, surely they will survive my freezer. To this I was told that seeds don't actually freeze in nature, that they are protected from actually freezing by the ground around them, etc., etc.

Well, my response to that was effectively :crazy: whatever. Still, if they didn't sprout, no harm, no foul. Lesson learned by experiment.

Yesterday I opened the ziploc to take a peek. Seed casings were still intact. But of one of them, just one, I thought "could be my imagination, but I think something is trying to break out." Just a little tiny bulge on the outer edge of one of the casings. Hmm...

So tonight, pulled out the ziploc, and to my pleasant surprise, two of them have now sprouted, and the others show visible sign that they will sprout overnight or tomorrow. Pics below: first is with flash, next is without flash with the light to the side. The two on the left have sprouted, while you can see the tell-tale bulge in the casings of the two on the right:

flash20110127.jpg
noFlash20110127.jpg

In reading the above, I realize this may come across as a snub to those who told me this wouldn't work, but that is not my intent or thought at all. Instead, I am so shocked, surprised, amazed, astounded, (etc., etc.), and happy, that I wanted to share this with you. In case you have some pods in the freezer and have thought to yourself "I wish I had saved some seeds and not put them all in the freezer", know that all is not necessarily a loss! Let me qualify all this by stating the pods were in the freezer portion of my fridge - it is not a standalone chest-type freezer set to something below zero F. If you have pods in a super-cold freezer, I'd suggest trying an experiment of your own.... let us know how it works out!

Still and all .... :woohoo:

That is interesting Geeme and thanks for sharing your results.

I know that in Canada a few years back some testing was done on temps at ground level under a covering of a foot of snow.

A logger with a temp probe was place on the ground's surface before the snow fell, to record the temps over the winter.

What the logger showed was that as long as there was a foot or more of snow covering the ground, the temps at ground level stayed right at 32 F or 0 C within +/- 1 degree, even if the temps outside were -30 C.

So people that were growing carnivorous plants and wanted to overwinter them in Canada would mulch their plants with 12" of pine needles if they couldn't count on there always being a foot of snow on the ground.

dvg

Good experiment. I keep my sprouting seeds (broccoli, alfalfa, etc.) in the freezer and get nearly 100% germination with them. 3 years ago I froze a bunch of Thai peppers that I had dried. Haven't tried this season but last season they sprouted and grew just fine. I thought they survived because I dried them first but, if I read right, you froze fresh pods. :think: :confused: :think:

What the logger showed was that as long as there was a foot or more of snow covering the ground, the temps at ground level stayed right at 32 F or 0 C within +/- 1 degree, even if the temps outside were -30 C.

dvg
Good info, dvg, and thanks for sharing. Now I want to put a thermometer in my freezer and see if it's really at the temp the dial says it's at.

Good experiment. I keep my sprouting seeds (broccoli, alfalfa, etc.) in the freezer and get nearly 100% germination with them. 3 years ago I froze a bunch of Thai peppers that I had dried. Haven't tried this season but last season they sprouted and grew just fine. I thought they survived because I dried them first but, if I read right, you froze fresh pods. :think: :confused: :think:
I did freeze fresh pods, but then air-dried the seeds after thawing one of them. Plants are such amazing things!

Finally threw a thermometer into the freezer. After about 20 minutes, it read 10F. Not sure if it would read colder if I left it in longer, but the dial does say 0F - for whatever that's worth. At any rate, we know it's at least below 32F.

Cool geeme, I've got a few pods of different varieties that I didn't start or save seed so I just might have to give that a try. Hey thanks for sharing, that's what this place is all about. I took some fresh seeds right out of a T Scorp that had only one pod with a stinger and AJ suggested just planting fresh right out of the pod and they came up in 8 days this last weekend. You're right they're amazing.

I have had similar success with pods i grew then threw into the freezer, but i have scotch bonnets that i bought frozen that won't germinate.

Shows what I know! I've frozen some whole, just picked fresh orange Hab pods and was intending to thaw them out at some later point and save the seeds to germinate. I wasn't aware there would be any problem, never done it before. I will deseed the next lot before freezing them just to make sure.

Shows what I know! I've frozen some whole, just picked fresh orange Hab pods and was intending to thaw them out at some later point and save the seeds to germinate. I wasn't aware there would be any problem, never done it before. I will deseed the next lot before freezing them just to make sure.

LOL - did you read all of my post?!? My point was that you don't necessarily need to deseed in advance. It probably does depend upon a number of factors, but hey - give it a try with those habs!

A few months ago i took some dried New Mexico Hatch Green chile pods (Sandia and Big Jim) and pulled the seeds. I then took 20 seeds from each and used the wet paper towel method to see if they would germinate. 38 of the 40 seeds germinated after about a week. These pods were dried in the sun in NM and not subjected to a dehydrator, but they did sit in my freezer for quite a long time. I was very surprised and pleased with the results.

LOL - did you read all of my post?!? My point was that you don't necessarily need to deseed in advance. It probably does depend upon a number of factors, but hey - give it a try with those habs!

Yeah I did read your post but I thought you basically said they will germinate after freezing fresh pods but the rates might not be as good. I was just going to play it safe and deseed first. I've never saved seed and I need every factor on my side I can. I will definitely try to germinate the frozen seeds next season and I'll compare the germination rate next to non frozen ones.

I do know that some seeds need a period of very cold temperatures before warming them up and germinating. Some seeds also need to pass through the GI tract of an animal. This obviously isn't the case with Chilli seeds but it is important to bear in mind that seeds have developed in nature and the really successful ones will be able to handle anything nature can throw at them. That includes freezing temps. It stands to reason that the seeds will still be viable after freezing.

Yeah I did read your post but I thought you basically said they will germinate after freezing fresh pods but the rates might not be as good.

Well, I only did 4 seeds, but all 4 germinated - 100% rate still seems pretty good to me! ;)

Fantastic! I got 4 pounds of those from AJ a few months ago and turned most of it to smoked powder, and it is soooo good. I also have some of the Trinidad Black Congo sprouting now and can't wait to see them grow up. Great job.

Back