• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding A question on cross pollination

If you have many different varities of peppers in your garden is their a high risk of getting hybrids? I am knew to this, sorry for the newbie question. :confused:

If you have many different varities of peppers in your garden is their a high risk of getting hybrids? I am knew to this, sorry for the newbie question. :confused:

In a word; yes. But it's the seed that will be hybrid; not your present crop.
You would have to isolate (a mesh bag) particular flowers before they bloom/open if you want true seed. The other option is distance; about 300 meters according to one source. Physical separation (green houses/rooms) is another possibility.

Chiles are inbreeders and do not shoot out pollen like outbreeding plants, but insects can still cause cross-pollination

Chiles are inbreeders and do not shoot out pollen like outbreeding plants, but insects can still cause cross-pollination

I should think wind would be a big problem for plants in close proximity to each other. Here, I have a number of insects visiting my plants as well, so I'm not planning on any true seeds from this years crop. Cheers.

Wind can be a factor but probably a very small factor for chiles

From Wiki
"Abiotic pollination refers to situations where pollination is mediated without the involvement of other organisms. Only 10% of flowering plants are pollinated without animal assistance.[2] The most common form of abiotic pollination, anemophily, is pollination by wind. This form of pollination is predominant in grasses, most conifers, and many deciduous trees. Hydrophily is pollination by water and occurs in aquatic plants which release their pollen directly into the surrounding water. About 80% of all plant pollination is biotic. Of the 20% of abiotically pollinated species, 98% is by wind and 2% by water."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollination

Edit: I don't get the numbers is it 10% or 20% or do these numbers represent something different
Maybe the 10% is without animal assistance, and the 20% include all organisms and not just animals?

In a word; yes. But it's the seed that will be hybrid; not your present crop.
You would have to isolate (a mesh bag) particular flowers before they bloom/open if you want true seed. The other option is distance; about 300 meters according to one source. Physical separation (green houses/rooms) is another possibility.

Thanks for the great info. everyone! I don't have a lot of room to isolate the plants distance wise. I guess the reality is that if I save seeds they may become a hybrid. So does this rule apply to sweet and hot peppers? I have heard people say they grew hots near sweets which turned the sweets hot. Can this happen? I am thinking yes, but I am not sure.

Thanks for the great info. everyone! I don't have a lot of room to isolate the plants distance wise. I guess the reality is that if I save seeds they may become a hybrid. So does this rule apply to sweet and hot peppers? I have heard people say they grew hots near sweets which turned the sweets hot. Can this happen? I am thinking yes, but I am not sure.

That should only happen if you save seeds and plant them the following year. That would be the result of cross pollination between sweets and hots.

This concerned me also, but I have a good seed source and I have summer (sort of) 24/7/365. ;)

That should only happen if you save seeds and plant them the following year. That would be the result of cross pollination between sweets and hots.

This concerned me also, but I have a good seed source and I have summer (sort of) 24/7/365. ;)

Thanks Ajarn. That is exactly what I was asking and thought. :)

Back