• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds A seed tray

I wish I had a few more of these. Each one holds 242 seeds. It is 2" tall and has a 1/4" square hole in the bottom (the top is 1" square) to soak up water.

Each variety (Hungarian Hot Wax, Red Hab, Jalapeno, Sweet Banana) takes up 44 cells or four rows. Hopefully, by early February I'll be able to transplant them into 3" plastic containers.

Mike

Edit: I guess it would help to show the tray. I hate Mondays!

tray.jpg

wordwiz said:
Edit: I guess it would help to show the tray. I hate Mondays!

yea, i read this like a minute after you posted it, couldn't picture it then moved on...

it's very nice, how do you get them out? poke them in their bottoms?

Iggy,

My experience with these trays are limited to three years and even then, only getting them with mature seedlings in them. Yes, they are completely and totally root bound, but that doesn't seem to matter. Water them once every other day, even though they are sitting in bright sunlight in 85 degree temps and they bounce alive almost immediately. Even nicer, the transplanted plants don't wilt at all - the keep right on growing. But this is with tobacco, not peppers or tomatoes.

GB,

To get the plants out is easy: stand directly over top of the tray and in a smooth calming voice, tell them this: "Little plant, sweet little plant, I have a hole for you - come up and jump in it."

OK, not exactly - I just grab them by the stem and pull them up. The Styro offers no resistance.

My plan is to let the plants get about 6" tall then transplant them into 3 inch containers that are 3.5" tall.

I'm trying to get back to my roots, no pun intended. We use to sow, raise and transplant thousands of plants a year and a 99 percent rate (of transplants) was disappointing. Raising plants to sell is a bit different from raising them to stick in the dirt, but not a bunch.

Mike

Back