• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics A "since plant out, ahpid soap spray" leaf issue, pics.

Alright. So, when I planted out I found some ants farming aphids. I went online and found a mix suggested by the USDA. It was soap, veggie oil, and water. I used DAWN, veg oil, and water. Now my leaves that received the application have all been looking like this:

I think I may have suffocated them with this mixture. I am appealing to the experts here. I want to make sure it's nothing more serious. I have been removing the leaves out of fear.

Thanks,
Sethsquatch

I did that once in the early morning, and when the sun hit the leaves, same results. Check out this link, under the damage section:
http://www.uri.edu/c...ets/aphids.html

The mold I got on some cayenne plants could not be washed off. But it was limited to the cayenne. I sacrificed the plant. Just my experience. I'm sure more pros will chime in.

By the way, aphids suck.

I had the same problem last year. My pest control guy told me to use soap solution right before dark for the aphids. Then he told me to sprinkle the ants with a little baby powder. He said its a chemical and they carry it back to the nest and it contaminates the colony AND the queen. It did work! And my plants survived. Good Luck. Oh, and i used lemon Joy dish soap.

I just did the same thing DAWN and all! well I didn't have veggie oil....

Don't do that anymore! Go get some Neem Oil!

Your mixed stuff is clogging the pores on the leaves.

This Is what I started doing and it is working, Coat the Entire plant in NEEM and then lightly wipe off the excess so it isn't pooled up. I use my index and middle fingers to act like squeegee. remember to get both sides of the leaf.

2 days ago there was a Aphid EXTRAVAGANZA on my Serrano's, I tried the above and they are recovering well. I like to pull off the damaged leaves, I feel like the energy they use to stay alive could be used to make new leaves.

I had the same result after using the same mix (I used generic dish soap). I threw all my plants in the shower for 10minutes and the residue washed off. The plants were fine after, but now I use insecticidal soap cuz it's easier and doesn't leave the leaves looking all sickly.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked everywhere but couldn't find a picture of leaves that had been suffocated. The closest I could find was bacterial leaf spot pics so I wanted to be as sure as possible that is not the issue.

well...that is leafspot, but it had a chance to colonize because of the spray you applied. Rule of thumb....oils on plant foliage tend not to be a wise idea. all you need with aphids is some hands on removal and pyrethrum based sprays. If you see leaves like this just remove them and keep the foliage ph LOW

Back