• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor About chilli pepper taste...

MarcV

Extreme Member
Last season I had a cayenne thick growing. It produced several pods :)

At the beginning of the season, the ripe pods had no heat at all but had a very sweet taste which I liked a lot.
After a couple of months the plant started producing hot chillis. The heat came but the sweetness disappeared! I also noticed a certain unpleasant bitterness in the taste.

I wonder if this bitterness is in fact the "taste" of the heat. The piment d'espelette chillis I bought in France were sweet and hot, but also had that certain bitterness in their taste. This bitterness seems to disappear when the chillis are dried.

I don't have a lot of experience with the taste of different varieties of hot chillis. I wonder if there are any that don't exhibit this bitter taste.

I would love to try a baccatum, but they are said to grow quite large...

MarcV said:
I would love to try a baccatum, but they are said to grow quite large...

Inca red drops are pretty compact.

Limon/Peruvian Yellow are larger than Incas, but not as large as Birgit's locoto or Brazilian Starfish, plus they branch more.  They do need support, or else they will sprawl.

All fresh Super-hots taste like ass. IMO

Or battery "ass-id". LOL

I cook with powders for that reason, that acidic, bitterness gets into your food and there's no going back.
Plus, cooking powders into your food and slowly combining the heat and flavors is where it's at for me.
It heats your head and body, not just incinerates your mouth to the point of zero taste and blindness like fresh super's do.

My 2¢

+1.

I did enjoy Butch T pods from that dude from N. Florida where the Datil reigns (St. Augustine) in chili, though. Otherwise, though, super's were palette blowing in every dish we tried, as I recall.

chsy83 said:

Inca red drops are pretty compact.

Limon/Peruvian Yellow are larger than Incas, but not as large as Birgit's locoto or Brazilian Starfish, plus they branch more.  They do need support, or else they will sprawl.

Peruvian yellow, is that the aji amarillo?

None of my Aji's grew big at all. Matter of fact they was my smallest plants. Some I even planted 3 to a pot. I did start late in the season though. Aji limon, Pineapple, omni color all have great taste. Bulsa de dulche tastes amazing but this will be my first year growing it. Datils have a great taste as well

MarcV said:

Peruvian yellow, is that the aji amarillo?

Nope.  Aji Amarillo is a larger growing pod that is actually closer to orange color.  It is also called Escabeche (sp?).  Supposedly low yields per plant.  Haven't grown it.  I have grown the Limon, and has high yields, and from what I have gathered, is hotter than the Amarillo.  The limon has a very citrusy smell when sliced, reminiscent to me of grapefruit/artificial lemon flavoring.

Back