• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

About to join your ranks...

Just ordered some pepper seeds and will be doing a potted garden in my back yard this year. Will likely set up a timed drip system as I have a hose very nearby. Hayward, CA, full sun, have about a 20 X 20 area, so I can do a pretty extensive garden.

Just placed an order with Heirloom Seeds, as they had a selection I was happy with and very reasonable prices/shipping.

African Devil Pepper $3.99
Chiltepin Pepper Seeds $2.99
Fatalii Pepper Seeds $2.99
Habanero Chocolate Pepper Seeds $2.99
Red Scotch Bonnet Pepper Seeds $2.99
Yolo Wonder Pepper Seeds $1.99

All varieties are about 30 seeds/package. I <3 Tepin and they're REALLY expensive ($3.99 for 10 gm of dried) the rest are peppers I love and are aesthetically pleasing. The Yolo Wonder is basically a big bell, but since those are so expensive at the store I figured I'd do those too.

They shipped everything USPS Priority 2-day for $5.99 - totally fair.

Considering I was an Ag/Hort major, it's kinda shameful I haven't had a garden in like 7 years, so I'm very excited to get this going. I kinda wish I'd gotten inspired a month ago, as we're getting really nice weather right now, but I think I'll still have plenty of production this summer regardless.

Anyway, thanks to y'all for inspiring me. I'm getting psyched! :dance:

Ps - I had a cart all filled out at Amazon with some interesting varieties - figured I'd go all from the same seller - prices were decent, etc. Until I went to check out and saw $22 worth of seeds shipping for $45.80 - WTF?

http://sustainableseedco.com/

don't go with amazon, the prices and stuff might be good, I got some Naga Morichs and 7 pot peppers, and Jamaican hot chocolates from hinterlands which are suppose to be a relatively company I think,(I haven't really done much searching about them but they had good reviews) and all of the Naga Morich's popped up really fast and most of the 7 pots.. I just hope that they are what they are suppose to be.. they look like they are.. but who really knows.. if I hadn't found this site sooner and hadn't jumped the gun on ordering those, I would have gotten them from someone where I know for sure that they are what they are.. amazon and ebay are just kind of a coin toss.. even though some companies are good...

all depends on you budget and if you really care what they are in the end.. up to you really, you could check out Tomatogrowers.com also, I got a bunch of seeds from them first and before i found this site, but they don't have any super hots.... otherwise I would just go with some company's and people from the site ..good luck

thanks guys. I am also going to buy a dehydrator now, because surely I'll have far more peppers than I can use fresh and being a hot sauce hobbyist (which I'll of course still be even when I'm using a mfgr) I'll want to have them on-hand to use in hobby batches.
:woohoo:

Any recommendations on dehydrators? I don't mind spending $$$ for a good one.

Great LDHS! This is my first year also and have growing in SOLOS Choc and Orange Habs, Jalapeno, Big Jim, Anaheim, Bhut Jolokia, Pablano, Sweet Bell that have been started. Just got seeds in the mail today for Red Thai, Mini Red Stuffing, and Aji Lemon Drop. Also plan on starting some Morouga in the near future, as well as other veggies and LOTS of tomatoes. I am starting with a 60X40 garden which will be way to much but plan on giving to friends, family, and anyone that needs them.

I too am buying a dehydrator and have read several posts on here about the Excaliber... I think that's the way I'm going.

you could check out Tomatogrowers.com also, I got a bunch of seeds from them first and before i found this site, but they don't have any super hots.... otherwise I would just go with some company's and people from the site ..good luck

I've ordered lots from tomatogrowers in the past and never had a problem, but this year I decided to buy from another source since tomatogrowers doesn't appear to have paypal or even a secure checkout, and I've been burned in the past.

I've ordered lots from tomatogrowers in the past and never had a problem, but this year I decided to buy from another source since tomatogrowers doesn't appear to have paypal or even a secure checkout, and I've been burned in the past.

oh that's interesting, I didn't notice that on checkout, it was a few months ago and I use the CC, but I will keep an eye out for that.. maybe it was something that switched when they changed their website around, I ordered before they changed it.. but I dono.

I just went to the tomato growers website and started a fake order. It was secure all the way through the process (didn't actually submit, of course). HTTPS is used on each step of the checkout process. Some places have mixed security (the page is secure, but an image or a stylesheet file is referenced through HTTP rather than HTTPS, which gives you a warning in most browsers about the security), but it appears TGS has proper Secure checkout. Now whether they are actually encrypting your credit card numbers and other personal information, and fully complying with Payment Card Industry (PCI) Standards, I can't say, but that is a gamble with any online business that you order from.

I've ordered from Sustainable Seeds a couple of times in the past and had good results. Looks like a nice grow list - the chocolate habs and fatali's from Sustainable took about 2x as long to germinate as most of my other peppers. I was about to give up and reseed, but luckily I waited it out and most of them sprouted.

I wasn't too sure, thanks for clarifying. I generally like to use paypal these days, I'm just not that computer literate and prefer to be safe

Congrats LDHS on getting into growing. There may be a problem though. I see your post count is approaching 1000. I believe there is a penalty for that many posts without at least having seeds in the dirt. Something about buying the first two rounds............ :whistle:

Best of luck to you man.

I've ordered from Sustainable Seeds a couple of times in the past and had good results. Looks like a nice grow list - the chocolate habs and fatali's from Sustainable took about 2x as long to germinate as most of my other peppers. I was about to give up and reseed, but luckily I waited it out and most of them sprouted.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I was wondering - I'd googled them and all reviews were positive regarding quality and yield but it's great to hear a "local" commentary on them. I really appreciate that.
:cheers:

Congrats LDHS on getting into growing. There may be a problem though. I see your post count is approaching 1000. I believe there is a penalty for that many posts without at least having seeds in the dirt. Something about buying the first two rounds............ :whistle:

Best of luck to you man.

hahaha - no, the penalty is having no life.

:rofl: :dance: :rofl:

Back