• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Abrupt leafcurl after watering (within two hours)

Like most of you, I love my plants. I check up on them daily and document changes so I can learn to better care for my plants. Out of the blue a single plant (choc. Hab; I have multiple of this variety) out of several of this variety is reacting this way. It's growth has slowed also.

I potted all my plants in a compost and vermiculite topped with mulched potting mix. I added slow release ferts at the base of the plant a couple weeks ago after roots had been established. No ill effects until now.

Summary:
- Sudden leaf curl
- No other plants effected
- I'm clueless
- maybe I'm not as observant as I think I am

This is my third year growing peppers, and this one stumps me. Anyone have any thougts?
http://imgur.com/eL5oUDR

Wouldn't worry about it. May just be a random genetic difference. Perhaps try watering just that plant slightly less than the others.

miguelovic said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but looks like calcium deficiency (distorted cupped new growth, "bubbling" leaf surfaces).
That's what I thought, but I used a calcium plus fert. Maybe I got defective stuff?

I suppose it could be, but if using calcium ferts then it is more likely to be "lock out". However I just attributed it to these being in the bright sun and a little wetter than they would like.

3) Margins of the leaves are turned up, and the tips may be twisted. Leaves are yellowing (and may turn brown), but the veins remain somewhat green. >> Magnesium (Mg) deficiency. b) If not, go to #4.

4) Leaves are browning or yellowing. Yellow, brown, or necrotic (dead) patches, especially around the edges of the leaf, which may be curled. Plant may be too tall. >> Potassium (K) deficiency. b) If not, keep reading.

5) Leaves are dark green or red/purple. Stems and petioles may have purple & red on them. Leaves may turn yellow or curl under. Leaf may drop easily. Growth may be slow and leaves may be small. >> Phosphorus(P) deficiency. b) If not, go to #6.

6) Tips of leaves are yellow, brown, or dead. Plant otherwise looks healthy & green. Stems may be soft >> Over-fertilization (especially N), over-watering, damaged roots, or insufficient soil aeration (use more sand or perlite. Occasionally due to not enough N, P, or K. b) If not, go to #7.

7) Leaves are curled under like a ram's horn, and are dark green, gray, brown, or gold. >> Over-fertilization (too much N). b) If not, go to #8…

8) The plant is wilted, even though the soil is moist. >> Over-fertilization, soggy soil, damaged roots, disease; copper deficiency (very unlikely). b) If not, go to #9.

Located the problem.  

My helpful father decided the plants were not growing fast enough so he drenched them in liquid fertilizer.  I'm guessing chemical burn on the roots (he didn't dilute it) and leaf blister from the extremely hot weather we have been having (95+) in addition to the over fertilizing. I am guessing that when I watered them all the fertilizer sitting on the soil surface got pushed into the already burned roots.

He's been growing a garden for years and just before rain he sprays UNDILUTED FERTS on all his plants.  Doesn't see a problem with this.  Had to explain these are delicate and will not survive.  He agreed to not touch them. 

Solution:  I have since removed the plant from soil, rinsed the roots with an Epsom salt solution, and planted it in a higher ratio of compost to vermiculite to allow for better draining and root washings during watering.  Wish me luck.

Back