• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Acid Reflux Damage (New Guy Here)

Hey everyone!
I'm doomsday from the Carnivorous Plant scene and upon obtaining some thai chili seeds and bhut jolokia seeds (both are small plants now indoors under lights) I got sucked into reading about super hots and other chilis. Now I was always amazed at the Bhut Jolokia for being the hottest, but now that i come back a couple years later and actually grow them i find that its not. So here are a couple questions.

1. Are trinidads/7pods noticabley hotter than the bhut always or just sometimes?
2. Do you ever get a bhut hotter than those?
3. Can you tell the difference with your tase or is itjust in testing chemically?

NOW for the real point of the thread.

I never really eat MUCH spicy stuff bt i love it. Im still a normal food person with tabasco being sprinkled over rice or hot wings with HOT sauce not atomic or anything crazy yet. I want to build a tolerance with tabasco and jalapenos andt hen my thai chilis, habs, and eventually get up to bhuts and other top 10 peppers in the 1m+ shu range.
However I have acid reflux. Should I just not do this? I cant find a definitive answer online as to whther or not capsaicin causes physical harm in your digestive tract, OR if it causes mroe acid/uscle relaxation that in turn causes harm. I am intererstwed in this hobby but I dont want to put my body at risk.

Thanks

My understanding is that the capsaicin does no physical damage to the stomach/digestive system - it "tricks" the senses, in essence. I, too, have acid reflux and my meds allow me to eat any type of pepper I choose without any discomfort. I would assume you are taking aciphex, protonix or nexium or something along those lines? If so, you should be fine...

Oh! :welcome: from Ohio!!

I've never had a pepper cause acid reflux for me, and I do get it from time to time particularly when I drink hard liquor, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for building a tolerance I don't think that really works much IMO. You cannot prepare for skydiving by going bungee jumping. You'll build a tolerance once you eat the hotter pepper. The bad thing about that is the things that used to be spicy will no longer be spicy. Its a double edged sword.

As for which one is hotter and can you tell; yes some peppers are considerably hotter than the bhut, but they are all super hot and I think the main difference is in the taste. I personally prefer the taste of 7 pods.

Oh cool Ill give it a shot then and see how it works..

When you say that things that used to be spicy wont be any more, isnt that a tolerance or resistance? Like, do you thin that people who eat a superhot really feel the burn 200-400 times worse than I would or anyone else would taking a teaspoon of tabasco or eating a jalapeno?

I haven't had any super hots yet, and the habs are still relatively hot but not THAT bad now.. I just haven't had any in a while, I'm waiting for all my peppers to start popping some pods out now.. but tabasco use to be nice a warm and sometimes a little hot for me.. but now it's honestly just sweet vinegar taste.. which is great because it tastes good IMO (I haven't really tried any hot sauces not available at a regular main stream store though, and I grew up using tabasco and Red Hot since I was really young, so I like it lol)

but like everyone else was saying you need to just start eating them to really build a tolerance, it's like if you eat habs and stuff here and there when you can, the jalapenos and other stuff won't be hot anymore, but if you heat some super hots here and there, the habs won't be hot anymore (although if you eat a bunch of habs and salsa and stuff with a ton of habs in them, you will get somewhat use to them, but I still think they will be somewhat hot still.. I don't really know that much yet) but I love making salsa now, and put tons and tons of habs in it, and it tastes great, a good way to get use to the heat a little before eating the pods, doesn't upset your stomach, and I like to put some kidney beans in them and black beans for a little texture diversity in mine..the salsa at the store is nasty now in comparison lol

and for any upset stomach I got a bottle of Pepto-bismol, I use to try to eat Tums because that is all we had around here, but I don't like them that much and they almost made me throw up because of the mixture of eating those right after the peppers and some orange juice (I ran out of milk lol) was pretty nasty

that's about all... Have fun! and welcome

well first the only ppl who have to worry about eating peppers are ppl w/ ulcers. capsaicin actually aids in digestive and cures certain stomach ailments. most ppl who get stomach issues get them because of the grease or vinegar or whatever else is in the spicy food that u eat. as for the hotness tolerance, yes once you start eating superhot powders, then sauces, then fresh pods nothing else will
really taste as spicy anymore, the best way not for this to happen is to mix up your spice intake, use some annuums, some baccatums, some frutescens and mix them in w/ your chinenses

I used to have acid reflux (not from hot stuff, just in general) after seriously eating hot stuff (Chiles, hot sauces, powders etc.) It has made my acid reflux go away. I noticed it after I started eating fresh habanero's and hotter hot sauces. Now I can eat super hot powders like it's pepper. (I mean I can still feel the burn but it is not uncomfortable lol it's awesome) Now when I start getting some fresh supers in this season....that's when the tolerance will really go through the roof) Burn baby Burn.

oh and I had a quick question that I have been meaning to post somewhere but it didn't really come up, so here it is...when the peppers come out the other end, I have noticed that I can tollerate it much better, where as there is not the immidiate rush, like "holy crap, I really need to get to the bathroom now! or else..." now it is more "normal" but I still know I ate hot stuff the night before, but without the burn..

so anyways lol.. with more habs and super hots does that go away even more, or is it pretty regular for first thing in the morning. .or near first thing, to have a nice bathroom break?.. I ask mainly because I get up really early in the summer for work most of the time, and I've had to turn around really quickly after just leaving the house to have a quick retreat to the bathroom haha.. so just want to know what I am getting into this summer, being the first summer I am growing super hots.. and going from 30-40 pepper plants, to about 140-180+ plants lol

I have come across several bits of info -but damn if I know what happens to all that saved stuff.Supposedly , raw peppers cause the stomach to secrete a mucus if you have some ulceration..Most spicy food as we know it is extremely high in fat, which where all the acid issues enter into it.(true). ...I started into superhots because I was informed that the capsaicin helps your lungs produce a thinner mucosal substance, kicks your cilia into high gear-and since I had 2 collapsed lungs,double pnuemonia and a few other trauma induced conditions-I jumped in with both feet...and there is definitely an effect there...
38 days on a morphine drip :eek: ...and in 6 weeks I had 85% lung reinflation/volume, at 3 mos 92%(2-3 habs a day and buckets of water)-that was supposed to take 6-9 mos.I was extremely fit at the time-so thats always part, but the said I don't know what the heck your doing, but keep doing it...the morphine I kicked easy...the peppers are different story!!!!I also had a partially detached esophagus....so I think thats enough evidence for me.
Drop Grant a line , he has lots of pepper related health stuff......

oh ...
1.sometimes
2.sometimes
3.yes they taste and smell markedly different...for about 2 seconds...hehehehe

I think you should listen to your body. If it gives you acid reflux, then reduce the amount to where you don't suffer from it. I sometimes get acid reflux (maybe everyone does once in a great while?) but not from hot peppers. I've read that they are good for your digestive tract but I doubt eating 10 or so bhut jolokias would be good, lol. I doubt you would do that though. I moved from cayenne peppers to Thai peppers and then to habaneros (I eat them whole and raw). Maybe a cayenne would be a good intermediary pepper between the jalapenos and Thai peppers.

Edit: I think you should move in steps because stomach pains suck. I'm sure I'd have terrible stomach pains from habaneros if I didn't build my tolerance up from other peppers. You can always try eating the habs and superhots in slices rather than whole.

oh and I had a quick question that I have been meaning to post somewhere but it didn't really come up, so here it is...when the peppers come out the other end, I have noticed that I can tollerate it much better, where as there is not the immidiate rush, like "holy crap, I really need to get to the bathroom now! or else..." now it is more "normal" but I still know I ate hot stuff the night before, but without the burn..

so anyways lol.. with more habs and super hots does that go away even more, or is it pretty regular for first thing in the morning. .or near first thing, to have a nice bathroom break?.. I ask mainly because I get up really early in the summer for work most of the time, and I've had to turn around really quickly after just leaving the house to have a quick retreat to the bathroom haha.. so just want to know what I am getting into this summer, being the first summer I am growing super hots.. and going from 30-40 pepper plants, to about 140-180+ plants lol

I can pretty much guarantee you that you will have some serious bathroom urges with your first, and probably first few supers. For me, after that it got better, but it definitely keeps me regular. And, do expect some ringsting. There is nothing wrong with keeping a roll of TP in the freezer.

LMFAO That's hilarious! Well I guess Il give it a shot. I had little bit of tobasco today on a spoon three times to get warmed up. Got me some hot wings and extra hot buffalo sauce in the fridge for tomorrow ;)

I have to admit, im impressed by the quick and efficient replies on here! Seems like a fun hobby with fun hobbyists. Ill be sticking around :)

Also, I do tissue culture so I will be working on propagating seeds and cloning specific plants so if anyone has anythign special and wants to try to propagate lots of clones let me know and maybe we can work somethin out :)

LMFAO That's hilarious! Well I guess Il give it a shot. I had little bit of tobasco today on a spoon three times to get warmed up. Got me some hot wings and extra hot buffalo sauce in the fridge for tomorrow ;)

I have to admit, im impressed by the quick and efficient replies on here! Seems like a fun hobby with fun hobbyists. Ill be sticking around :)

Also, I do tissue culture so I will be working on propagating seeds and cloning specific plants so if anyone has anythign special and wants to try to propagate lots of clones let me know and maybe we can work somethin out :)

This place is super active! Lots of people will be interested in tissue culture I think :) . I might be interested in that if I get a good hybrid. I haven't learned about how tissue culture works yet.

This place is super active! Lots of people will be interested in tissue culture I think :) . I might be interested in that if I get a good hybrid. I haven't learned about how tissue culture works yet.

Ya it's alot more active than I thought it would be. I mean I don't know anyone else who is into these death chilis hahahaha

Tissue culture is pretty difficult and tedius, but it's my kind of thing since i love science and plants so it appeals to both.
I might make thread on here to let people know if they wanna work on a project or something where to contact me.
There would be less controversy over cross pollination by accident and other mishaps to because you could use the tissue if you want to get a perfect clone. I am pretty sure I could get a plant to flower much sooner than it would normally to in tc since they grow so fast!

Ya it's alot more active than I thought it would be. I mean I don't know anyone else who is into these death chilis hahahaha

Tissue culture is pretty difficult and tedius, but it's my kind of thing since i love science and plants so it appeals to both.
I might make thread on here to let people know if they wanna work on a project or something where to contact me.
There would be less controversy over cross pollination by accident and other mishaps to because you could use the tissue if you want to get a perfect clone. I am pretty sure I could get a plant to flower much sooner than it would normally to in tc since they grow so fast!

Not only that but if we end up with a hybrid that we like and doesn't produce seeds, then we have an alternative way to propagate the plant other than cloning.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you will have some serious bathroom urges with your first, and probably first few supers. For me, after that it got better, but it definitely keeps me regular. And, do expect some ringsting. There is nothing wrong with keeping a roll of TP in the freezer.

haha, great, that is what I expected, but good to know it doesn't change really when going from habs to superhots!

and Doom, this place is really active, I joined here a few months ago and was hooked pretty fast lol.. now I have WAY more pepper plants than I originally intended (it's a great problem to have lol), and have learned a whole heck of a lot of info in a short amount of time.

you will probably get lots of feed back for that, which is great! it will be interesting to see where it goes.

Peppers are the first on the list of foods that trigger acid-reflux. Check out this facebook page and their book

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dropping-Acid-The-Reflux-Diet-Cookbook-Cure/200931879936937

"TOP TEN MOST COMMON REFLUX TRIGGER FOODS
(These are the ones that vary a lot from person to person)
10. Banana (Good food … but trigger for 5%of people)
9. Dairy (Triggers for as many as 15% of the population)
8. White wine (No idea why this is worse then red)
7. Hard-boiled eggs (The hard yolk seems to trigger some)
6. Coconut (90% saturated fat and a gem of a trigger food)
5. Onions (Some refluxers can eat ‘em; most others not)
4. Coffee (One of the more common to cause throat burning)
3. Nuts (esp. peanuts, peanut butter, walnuts, macadamia)
2. Tomatoes (Some refluxers can eat ‘em; most others not)
1. Peppers (Includes everything in the peppers category)"

and yet I still wonder if this is not because of eating vinegar soaked or pickled peppers, and are we talking ripe or green, I have heard that green peppers are likely to cause indigestion or reflux. i dont know for sure, all I know is Ive been eating the hottest fresh, dried, pickled, etc peppers I could get my hands on since I was a kid, and I will have to say that i have no issues at all w/ acid reflux no matter how hot the pepper, though if I eat fried food w/o eating fresh hot peppers w/ it i do sometimes get acid reflux as well as nauseated

Back