• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Acid Reflux Damage (New Guy Here)

I eat a fair amount of bell peppers in stir frys and the like. Despite knowing that red bell peppers contain the most vitamins they also have a stronger flavour and I've found give me an acid stomach if I have more than a little bit, such as a red pepper omelette. This is from someone with a stomach like a rock who rarely gets any acid problems. I Generally stick with green and yellow except with hot peppers.

hmm-probably dependent on the individual, I never get a twang from raw bell peppers/jalapenos/ but I do get the odd gutbuster from some of the red super hots-which goes right away with tums....so its clear as mud. Good ole E Pylori bacteria is a major culprit.

I don't get any acid reflux from peppers or spicy food at all, not even superhots. I never get it from Mexican food either. I pretty much only get acid reflux from certain acidic or irritating drinks- coffee, alcohol, orange juice, lemonade, and to a lesser extent tea. Tea doesn't usually bother me unless I drink a ton of it.

Peppers are the first on the list of foods that trigger acid-reflux. Check out this facebook page and their book

https://www.facebook...200931879936937

"TOP TEN MOST COMMON REFLUX TRIGGER FOODS
(These are the ones that vary a lot from person to person)
10. Banana (Good food … but trigger for 5%of people)
9. Dairy (Triggers for as many as 15% of the population)
8. White wine (No idea why this is worse then red)
7. Hard-boiled eggs (The hard yolk seems to trigger some)
6. Coconut (90% saturated fat and a gem of a trigger food)
5. Onions (Some refluxers can eat ‘em; most others not)
4. Coffee (One of the more common to cause throat burning)
3. Nuts (esp. peanuts, peanut butter, walnuts, macadamia)
2. Tomatoes (Some refluxers can eat ‘em; most others not)
1. Peppers (Includes everything in the peppers category)"

I'm pretty sure I don't ever want to hang out with any of the people in that group, they seem like a bunch of whiny hypochondriacs.

Vinegary sauces actually help some people's reflux possibly due to the vinegar already being acidic preventing the body from producing more. There is some old threads here that discuss this. I've personally had to drastically cut down on my hot pepper intake due to my digestive system problems being further irritated as well as my acid reflux :(

Vinegary sauces actually help some people's reflux possibly due to the vinegar already being acidic preventing the body from producing more. There is some old threads here that discuss this. I've personally had to drastically cut down on my hot pepper intake due to my digestive system problems being further irritated as well as my acid reflux :(
I have this before and it makes sense, I always seem to forget about this one. My grandmother used to take a shot of pickle juice(vinegar) before eating lots of fried food.I eat more "yellows"(I love 7's) than any other kind....so I'm guessing thats a good thing

I get acid relux from things like ramen (doing research), not the ramen but the flavour powders, from cheap terrible tomato spaghetti sauces, from drinking soft drink/coke/pop, and from alcohol.
Never got it from fresh chillies, sure, some hurt my stomach so much I want to die, but I do not get acid reflux from it.

I think anyone who wrote that list potawie posted was probably talking about processed chillies (pickled, in a sauce etc) which can happen to me. It's more likely for me to get it from any vinegary sauces or processed things actually. I never got a bad effect from fresh ripe chillies other than the heat.

Peppers (Includes everything in the peppers category) :)

I think the list is for people who suffer from acid-reflux. Its not saying that it will cause reflux in non sufferers, and indigestion is something totally different

i completely forgot about Ramen haha, I ate soo much of that freshman year in college, and I haven't had any since.. one drunk night I actually put vodka in my Ramen at the end of the night..and I still finished it and ate it because I was hungry and didn't want to waste it, but needless to say, the next morning was horrible, Ramen has given me some bad acid reflux, but that was when I ate a lot of it, along with a lot of other processed foods and hard alcohol :lol:

Vinegary sauces actually help some people's reflux

Your stomach mainly produces HCl, which is a strong acid that has a much lower pH than vinegar. The more likely explanation is that vinegar is largely composed of acetic acid, which is a weak acid that acts as a buffer (it stabilizes the pH of a solution so that addition of strong acids does not reduce the pH as quickly). Thus, while eating vinegary sauces etc may have a short term effect of elevating stomach pH (much like direct addition of bases such as the ingredients in TUMS etc), it will eventually be overcome by your stomach's natural process of acid creation. The proton channel inhibitor meds do a much better job for sufferers of acid reflux.

I've personally had to drastically cut down on my hot pepper intake due to my digestive system problems being further irritated as well as my acid reflux :(

I'm sorry to hear that, I have had almost the exact opposite experience.

I have been diagnosed with GERD for years and was taking increasing amounts of meds for it. About a year ago I began drastically increasing my capsaicinoid intake by adding more fresh peppers, powders, and homemade sauces to the generally the same foods I ate before. I noticed a significant decrease in my own stomach discomfort and acid problems within a month or two, and over the last year have almost completely stopped needing meds.

It's important to note that I have been eating small amounts of very hot peppers, which means I eat relatively little pepper flesh. If as Potawie has pointed out, peppers in general are a reflux trigger (including bell peppers and sweet peppers), it is likely that the cause is in the flesh of the pepper (much like a tomato or any of the other non spicy triggers), and that the capsaicinoids are sort of a red herring that does not affect your acid problems. This is further backed up by the chemical analysis and studies on capsaicin that show it only reacts with pain receptors and is basically inert beyond that. Thus if the pepper flesh itself is a reflux trigger, and the capsaicinoids are not, eating hotter peppers should theoretically be better than eating milder ones.

Maybe there is a happy medium of a good amount of peppers to eat. Judging by how many badass peppers Potawie grows ( :cool:) I am sure he at least historically ate more spicy ones than I did, so maybe while I have increased my pepper intake and he has decreased his, we are both approaching some more ideal level for our own body chemistry. Thats pure speculation though.

Either way, to the OP, my anecdotal experience, and my general research on the subject suggests that eating hotter peppers should not have a particularly negative effect on your reflux problems. But of course we all have different body chemistries, so the only way for you to tell is to try for yourself.

I've gotten acid reflux from bananas now that I think about it.. but really only when its in the morning and on an empty stomach and I don't have time to eat anything else.. but it isn't bad, and it goes away pretty fast, but I forgot that it happens sometimes. hmm

I've only experienced acid reflux for two reasons. Shitty alcohol on an empty stomach (Old Crow specifically), and things over 2 or 300,000 shu on an empty stomach. Some 5mil shu extract also caused me some grief on a full stomach but in general eating a raw/cooked/pickled extra hot pepper on an empty stomach leaves me feeling like a got kicked in the gut by a team of rabid donkeys. Antacids help though.

I'm not "worried" about it burning, because it won't be really BURNING any tissue, but I don't want anything to cause the actualy ACID reflux which does destroy your stomach and throat and then you are on a crazy restrcited diet for life if that happens..

I've only experienced acid reflux for two reasons. Shitty alcohol on an empty stomach (Old Crow specifically), and things over 2 or 300,000 shu on an empty stomach. Some 5mil shu extract also caused me some grief on a full stomach but in general eating a raw/cooked/pickled extra hot pepper on an empty stomach leaves me feeling like a got kicked in the gut by a team of rabid donkeys. Antacids help though.

I just got a hangover from reading the words "Old Crow." :sick:

WOW Tissue culture! That would be amazing for F1 hybrids that had traits that seemed too difficult to stabilize, no? Like the crazy barbed super Bhut or whatever that Chris grew last year. I'm going to be trying to hybridize some strains myself this year but it'll be 12-18 months before I know if I want to clone anything that extensively. I'd still love to see how you do it.

I just got a hangover from reading the words "Old Crow." :sick:

What's even better is I tried it twice on seperate occassions just to make sure the first time wasn't a fluke. :crazy:

Both times a single shot left me feeling like I was going to die and basically left me incapicitated for a good 20 minutes. That was 20 years ago and since then the only other times I've experienced trouble is when I ate a hot pepper (on an empty stomach).

WOW Tissue culture! That would be amazing for F1 hybrids that had traits that seemed too difficult to stabilize, no? Like the crazy barbed super Bhut or whatever that Chris grew last year. I'm going to be trying to hybridize some strains myself this year but it'll be 12-18 months before I know if I want to clone anything that extensively. I'd still love to see how you do it.

Ya it would be great for cloning F1 hybrids and having as many copies as you would want. That bhut sounds cool. I'd definately be interested in working with that if I can get my hands (with gloves of course) on it. Also, nothing clones hHAS to be made into thousands.. You can make a few and then suspend the culture until you want more. Then you would resume normal procedures.

Back