• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Add Cal-mag to water with MG?

If I want to make up for the lack of Calcium in the Miracle-Gro I have left, can I just add Cal-Mag to the mix (water and MG)? I assume maybe I'd want to use less of one or both to not overdo the Nitrogen (the Cal-Mag is 2-0-0), but besides that, is there anything keeping me from adding both for the same watering?

yes you can add it.

miracle gro all purpose plant food is more for flowers / foliage plants not really for vegetables. it works. people have used it. if you want to use it go for it.

but i would advise getting something with lower nitrogen. even miracle gro themselves acknowledges this, see their tomato food (which has balanced nitrogen 18-18-21)

juanitos said:
yes you can add it.

miracle gro all purpose plant food is more for flowers / foliage plants not really for vegetables. it works. people have used it. if you want to use it go for it.

but i would advise getting something with lower nitrogen. even miracle gro themselves acknowledges this see their tomato food (which is low nitrogen 18-18-21)

Thanks.

Yeah, I have some of each (plant food and tomato food) left from last year. I'm just trying to use up what I have rather than throw it away, but I also want to get enough calcium to prevent BER. So you'd recommend just the tomato food with Cal-Mag, not the all purpose stuff? I can always use that for flowers and shrubs out front.

juanitos said:
you could use the all purpose stuff now while the plants are not producing. but yeah def switch around june / july.
I had good early results with MG tomato fert. I never used it long term.

mas_fuego said:
I had good early results with MG tomato fert. I never used it long term.

I don't intend to use it longer than I have to, either. I just don't want to be wasteful, and it seems like if I add calcium to it, it'll do just fine until I've used it all. Might not be too much of an issue (at least for a little while) with calcium, as I put some Garden-tone in the top 4 inches or so of soil in the beds about a week ago. Should be planting out this weekend if all goes according to plan.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Back