• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Adding Compost

I had a raised bed built last year and it was filled with topsoil. I want to lighten it up to aerate and improve drainage. Would compost be my best bet? Any suggestions welcome. Here is an ad for compost (lower left) and it includes what it is composed of. Should this work? Thanks

compost.jpg

Hard to tell without holding it your hand but looks like it has some small twigs and sticks in it as well. very natural IMO it think that would work very well for you and fair price too!

I use a similar compost, not only can it be used to lighten the soil but makes a nice top mulch as well. this is my application. My link

SC

It would work. But if it were me Id buy a couple bag of manure and a bag of worm castings and mix it in to your soil. That mix is mush, top soil, bark, and sand...mushroom mix is good but you already have the top soil, and sand wont help with drainage (in my experience). Bark will help with drainage but it doesnt have much nutes. I will say that Spicy Chicken has a hell of a garden, so if he says its good, then why not. It is a great price!! :lol:

This is timely for me, too. My raised beds are (in the garage!) about to be constructed. I would like to avoid having 'heavy' soil from the start. I have a fairly good organic rich garden soil, but it doesn't drain that well, still has a somewhat high clay component. I was thinking compost, pine bark fines, perlite, manures in that order. And some dolomite lime and worm castings.

Not sure about sand, though. Can it actually cause compaction? Also, will the perlite last long time or need supplement every couple years?

I imagine kcs053 and I prolly have quite a bit of shoveling to do to mix in the amendments properly.

Sounds good, I would also add about 7-14 ton/acre of Calcitic limestone having a CCE (Calcium carbonate eqivalent) of about 95% and less than 5% MgCO3; the Ca2+ ions will react with both the organic matter and the clay in your native soil leaving a very conditioned soil that supplies an abundant amount of Ca2+ to the plants and will also improve drainage, water holding capacity and the bulk density of the soil. In addition, this application will not raise the pH above 8, so long as you stick with Calcitic limestone rather than CaO or dolomitic limestone.

Thanks, T Med Pepper. Now researching 'Calcimitic vs. Dolomitic'. Now if Calcimitic is better, where to find it?

I may have to just go with the gut feeling and load the raised beds and test, final amend later. Never have formally tested my soil. Having a raised bed sort of makes it special and would like to really go for some good ingredients in there.

Still wondering about the use of sand, especially in a clayey soil, and long term use of perlite? Throw me a bone, you pepper pros.... :cool:

Thanks, T Med Pepper. Now researching 'Calcimitic vs. Dolomitic'. Now if Calcimitic is better, where to find it?

I may have to just go with the gut feeling and load the raised beds and test, final amend later. Never have formally tested my soil. Having a raised bed sort of makes it special and would like to really go for some good ingredients in there.

Still wondering about the use of sand, especially in a clayey soil, and long term use of perlite? Throw me a bone, you pepper pros.... :cool:
I get mine at a local farm and fleet (Blaines), of course this type of store is pretty typical here in the midwest and may not be out there in Boise.

Local garden center expert says our Idaho soils run acidic, so hold my horses on thinking about adding any type of limestone. I guess you midwest folks have a whole diff ball game with soil. He says it is a shock to those from the east when they come here, pH-wise.

His suggestion: add the bulk compost and organic goodies to the beds. Test that for pH. Add amendments as needed.

For the original poster, kcso53, sorry to kinda hijack your thread, but it came back around to you. Compost sounds good and also looks like the calcitic limestone mentioned by T Med Pepper might be important for you.... :cool:

Back