• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Advice needed re. pot sizes

Advice needed, chaps and chapesses... which of these plants need a big pot?
Ten large pots (approx 20l I think) currently available and everything else has to go in MFBs (approx 10l?)  14 possible candidates:
Cseresznye Paprika (annuum)
Lemon Spice Jalapeno (annuum)
Monkey Face (annuum)
Aji Berry Amarillo (baccatum)
Aji Guyana (baccatum)
Guyana Rush (Heefy's) (baccatum)
El Oro Del Trinidad (Heefy's) (baccatum)
Havana Gold (baccatum)
Sugar Rush Cream (baccatum)
Nagabrain Chocolate (chinense)
Brazilian Ghost (chinense) 
Scotch Bonnet MoA (chinense)
Bahamian Goat (chinense)
Habanero red (chinense)
(These chinenses are all 2nd or 3rd year plants which have been overwintered so they have a head start over this year's plants.  All my 2019 chinenses will be going in MFBs except the Dorset Naga.)

So, which four should miss out on the big pots and why?

Bigger the pot, bigger the plant.

I dont have any recommendations on which to upgrade, but I would focus on your favorites.

The over winters would be my first choice.

:cheers:

podz said:
Are you growing in dirt?

To be honest, mate, I'd just close my eyes and spin the wheel :-)
Not sure I fully understand the question. Do you mean as opposed to hydroponically? Im using various proprietary potting mediums e.g. Canna Terra Pro in my pots depending on whats on offer when I go to the shop.

Masher said:
Bigger the pot, bigger the plant.

I dont have any recommendations on which to upgrade, but I would focus on your favorites.

The over winters would be my first choice.

:cheers:
Big pot, big plant is very true but I have a short growing season and these plants will be outdoors. Sometimes in a big pot they spend so long growing into a big plant that by the time they set fruit, there isnt enough time for them to ripen before the frost comes.

Mitzi said:
Not sure I fully understand the question. Do you mean as opposed to hydroponically? Im using various proprietary potting mediums e.g. Canna Terra Pro in my pots depending on whats on offer when I go to the shop.

Yes I mean as opposed to hydroponically.

Growing hydro ourdoors (coir) you can get away with smaller pots if you just provide support for the plants.

I'd probably put the annuums in the lil pots, and save the big plus for the Baccatums/Chinense. . . In my experience, annuums are just pepper plants, whereas Chinense become little trees and some Baccatums (eg, the Bishop's Crown I grew last year) grow into the hedge maze from "The Shining."

But that's just my general point of view, based on stereotypes. Maybe something like an Aji Berry Amarillo stays small? I dunno

I put the Paprika, Monkey Face and Red Hab into smaller pots.  

Guyana Rush, Havana Gold, Berry Amarillo into large pots.  I also put Lemon Spice Jalapeno in a large pot and I used another large pot for several Purple Tigers, i.e. I put multiple plants into one pot.

That leaves me with five large pots for which I'm thinking the three remaining baccatums (Sugar Rush Cream, Aji Guyana and El Oro del Trinidad) plus two chinenses, probably Brazilian Ghost and one other (maybe one that's not even on my list above like a Genghis Khan Brain, Giant White Hab or a Matthew Arthur scotch bonnet.)  

Back