• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Advice needed...

I have read through a lot of the threads on seedlings but cant decide what to do. My seedlings are between 1 and 3 inches tall. They each have the first set of pointy leaves and some are beginning to grow what I think is their first set of true leaves. The containers that they are in only have less than 2 inches of soil though and the seedlings are a bit cramped.

Is it too early to move them into individual pots yet?

Any advice appreciated! This place is a great resource.

Its hard to say with out seeing a picture of how close and big they are. If you were to transplant them early be extremely careful not to mess with their roots. I was in your situation for some seedlings and i transplanted them carefully and they took off after that. :P

please show us some pictures of the seedlings in order to let us comprehend your situation and try to help you

Hi Reilly.
When you say "them", am i guessing right that you have more than one seedling in each pot?

If so, I transplanted loads of mine successfully at the 2 leaf stage.....you just have to be careful.

I have read through a lot of the threads on seedlings but cant decide what to do. My seedlings are between 1 and 3 inches tall. They each have the first set of pointy leaves and some are beginning to grow what I think is their first set of true leaves. The containers that they are in only have less than 2 inches of soil though and the seedlings are a bit cramped.

Any advice appreciated! This place is a great resource.

I have 66 holes tray, dimension of 1.75x1.75x2.5in deep each. All of my plants are on the 3rd set of leaves and are about 4in tall. I just moved them out to a larger cup. For my situation, I thought it was perfect, because there were enough roots in each of them when I moved them.

If I were you, I would strongly wait til at least 2nd or 3rd set o true leaves. 2 in of soil are plentiful at the moment.

Thanks for the advice so far. I will try to get some pictures up later when I'm home. There is approx 8 - 10 seedlings in each container. The container dimensions are approx 4in x 7in x 1.5in.

So some people have successfully repotted seedlings which have only the first 2 leaves on them then?

So some people have successfully repotted seedlings which have only the first 2 leaves on them then?
Hmm, only me by the look of it....lol

Naa, seriously, i was advised to do it before the roots tangle as Potawie says above....but then there are others that would say to wait as Peplover says. It seems like people have done both, and both have worked.
At the end of the day i guess nobody is strictly 'right' or 'wrong', as what works for one might not work for another....which i guess in turn just adds to the feeling of achievement at the end of it all!! :)

:welcome:Greetings from North Carolina
Slainte!

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]“The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite……[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]" [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background]

Thanks for the advice so far. I will try to get some pictures up later when I'm home. There is approx 8 - 10 seedlings in each container. The container dimensions are approx 4in x 7in x 1.5in.

with 8-10 seedlings per container -- I'd personnally seperate them as soon as possible - figure in the end if you do not seperate them and want to be succesful in growing them you'll wind up culling all but 1 seedling per cell so that means losing 7-9 seedlings per cell anyway if you really do not want to disturb the roots and even then you're leaving a lot of dead roots that could cause disease growth in the one that remains. So even in the worse case seperating them now and losing some will still yield more plants than doing nothing and then culling all but 1 per cell later. Also the longer you wait to seperate them the more bundled the roots are going to get and the more damage you'll most likely cause during seperation and getting them seperated is going to put more stress on them and take longer as you carefully try to untangle them (though you'll most likely still wind up with more plants in the end than culling all but 1 per cell )

Plus doing it now instead of waiting lets you know sooner rather than later if you lose too many during the process so you can start more right away and plant fewer seeds per cell !

You can pot up any time you want, its just easier and less stressfull when there is a good rootball. Starting multiple plants per container makes it nearly impossible to wait for a good rootball, they will all be tangled before that happens

Back