• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Advice on how to pollinate this year

D3monic said:
Seems like a good method. ... minus the crack pipe lol. 

Well thanks for that vid, showed me yet another way that it ain't going to happen.  The OD of blooms are only 4mm at best, many are under 2mm that I think could be viable for a true F2.  Any other sporting ideas?

@D3monic: The method, illustrated in the vid you provided, seems to have an advantage over the method d3monstated in Fatalii Seeds' video. By removing only the stamens, but not the petals, i'd bet there's a lot less physical trauma to the bloom, and less chance of the plant aborting it.
I didn't see any measures taken to "bag" or isolate the flower from other pollen, but i assume something is done (it's a nice short clip). Thank you.

@Nuclieye: If the small bloom size requires something like microsurgery to hand-pollinate, what about isolating single plants with netting? Use a brush/Qtip to transfer pollen about, daily, till enough fruitset has occurred.
Since theses plants are as small as 7", it shouldn't take much space or resources to erect netting barriers. Makeshift hoop-frames and 5-gallon paint-filter bags might be adequate.

If the netting enclosure is too shaded for the plant, for a full grow season, try this: remove all fruitset from the plant, also all open buds. Enclose plant in netting. Pollinate by muddling with a Qtip, flower to flower, as they open. After a week, label the fruitset that occurred, wash the netting enclosure thoroughly, and select the next plant.

Your F2 generation will consist of several distinct subgroups... each subgroup will be self-pollinated to ensure a maximal expression of recessive genetic traits.

You may have to find some other method, next season, to produce an F3 generation... i have no idea whether a trait for larger (more easily pollinated) blooms will manifest from the Reaper side of the gene pool, or how that will affect fruit size.

If these suggestions are unhelpful, perhaps further details are needed. It may simply be a matter of maintaining polite correspondence on this thread, shooting down suggestions like mine by revealing more details of the specifics of your problem.
Sooner or later, the person who knows the answer will read this thread.

I'll be fascinated by the solution, and not just for curiousity's sake: i have to selectively hand-pollinate a whack of wild chinenses this summer.
There IS some way of doing this right. Otherwise no progress would be made in plant breeding.

Thank you for starting this thread. If you hadn't, i wouldn't have anticipated this problem. I 'll follow it closely... i desperately need some answers to this too.

Back