• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aerators?

I have been using perlite in my growing efforts thus far as an aerator and would like to know what all else is out there that is considered a good aerator for soil? I am sure most of you have tried different things and wold like to know what works best.

Keep in mind I grow organic.

we use gumballs... we have plenty of them and they're acidic. also, i can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but it's a heated and popped shale that adds humic acid and is fairly coarse. my peppers loved that.

I should probably mention that I use pro mix HP which seems to hold water really well, so I need more of an aerator that doesn't hold water.

I should probably mention that I use pro mix HP which seems to hold water really well, so I need more of an aerator that doesn't hold water.

just add more perlite. coarse or chunky is preferable, although you will find that the chunky stuff is way more expensive for what ever reason. fine or super fine perlite is not usefull. it is for seedlings and what have you.

i go with the cornell peat lite composition with 50:50 peat and perlite. it seems to work very well, however it is expensive. im considering seriously just moving over to coir/perlite.

NAPA floor dry part #8822
It's the same stuff as turface = calcined diatomaceous earth pellets
sterile, holds both moisture & air and is a pH neutral buffer.

My mix for everything in pots is:
4 parts ProMix HP
1 part chunky perlite
1 part NAPA floor dry
1 tbspn/5 gallon mix of osmocote outdoor & indoor.

Back