• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aerogarden

Is it possible to get peppers plants to produce peppers in an aerogarden. There are pictures on the net but those are selling pictures. I would like to grow some in an aerogarden and get peppers

In one of my aerogardens right now 

6CvFMkc.jpg

Great for starting peppers---but too small you bring peppers to full size.

My aero garden 7 has just over a 1 gallon reservoir. Adult pepper plants will completely fill a 5 gallon bucket with roots.

LA 2 the Bay said:
Nice what do you feed them. What kind are those. How many plants
 At the moment i'm feeding Dyna-Grow-Pro with some cal+mag
The variety ?  Good question, i have no clue :D There's single flowers from the nodes so it's def not a chinense. (unless i'm wrong about that too haha) Will find out later when the first pod ripens and i give it the old taste test.

How many plants? One this big, there's others in there but they are tiny dwarf tomatoes with 2 sets of true leaves. Which won't stay in there long.
The second aerogarden has 2 dwarf tomatoes in it fruiting along with 3 other dwarf seedlings and one chinense which is 7 inches tall right now. I will eventually be moving the pepper along to another system, and leave the tomatoes there. The second one is crammed but doing ok so far. 

I think it can be done successfully. I was thinking one plant. I will try it this year. My plan is to prune the roots as well as the shoots. Almost like a hydro bonsai. Sounds like a good experiment.

I have problems with some of my plants in aerogardens getting too large of a root mass and then root rot. How would you say to trim the roots? Any specific thing to do?

You can grow .. problem is once the hood is to the max. . You'll Need supplemental lights.. Also. One plant can consume a gallon a 2-3 days so you'd need to refill. One vegas trip and it will be bone dry...
Yoi can always transfer them to bigger containers
https://youtu.be/FMZ718Dy4TQ

Ive grown a lemon drop plant to maturity in an aerogarden.  I got some pods out of it, but It is not ideal, and the number of pods is a fraction of a plant growing in a larger container with more root room and light.
In addition to the problems already mentioned, the roots also kept growing into the pump and binding it up.

I also second the post saying that aerogarden is good for starting pepper seedlings out (and then transplanting them)

Back