Afghan Food

We ate at a new little place here called "Kabob Restaurant " yesterday. It's owned by a family so it's not a chain venture. The things I tried were good , but with all respect not great. Except for the long grain white rice they used. It was very nice !! I know what Basmati Rice is and this wasn't. The grains are longer and the taste sweeter. So I asked and they said I was right it wasn't
Basmati ....... they said what it was but I didn't understand them.... ghezz

I searched Afghan recipes today but no other rice than Basmati was named. Would anyone care to make a wild guess ??
THP ? Anyone ?

The Kubedia Kabobs ( ground beef ) were ok but could have been hotter ( spice wise ) for me or had a hot dipping sauce. The Chicken Kabobs were boring . Tasted like turmeric only. Both the vegetable Samosas and mixed vegetable Khorma were great. The Spicy Red Chicken was ok. I asked for a hot version if they made it. Mine was a wee hotter than wifes but still claim. I've had hotter canned chili ( wolf brand ) ..... The chicken was RED .... they must have used a whole bottle of food coloring.

The Nann and the Dal Hyderabadi both were great , but those are hard to blow.

Because they're new we'll go back in a while to how things have come along.

Peace,
P . Dreadie

mornin' PD...

will be interesting to find out what kind of rice it was...I bet you NJA (Naga Jalokia Addict) will know...maybe he will peruse this thread

Armadillo, Texas :rofl:

MrArboc .... I know Jasmine rice , I do lots of Thai . This wasn't .

AJ I hope someone knows ..... it sure was good. I didn't understand the name but they said they had to order it into Amarillo or 'Rillo as us home bowys call it.

Novacastrian ....... you would think they don't have time to sit around and cook rice. But hell ... if can grow poppies and make IUDs you have more time than just making tea.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I've eaten Afghan food and did not like it either. Bland and dry. Of course that was here in NY and not in Afghanistan.

I wonder if Afghan food is similar to Persian food ... which I have once in a while. I'm guessing it would be close because it looks not so far away from Iran :)

I'm not sure how big the old Persian empire was but my first thought when someone tells me they're Persian is they're from Iran. I would think the food would be similar because of the religious back grounds , spices , and what's grown in that part of the world.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Iran is a modern nation- "Persian" refers to a very old culture. From what I have understood from immigrants from that region- they are proud of their heritage- they are appalled by the modern politics. Thats why they refer to the older term when describing themselves-they want to distance themselves from the modern media image version of the politics there currently. They want to hang onto the rich cultural heritage. Food is a part of that. for Afghani's too, I imagine. The local afghani grocery is doing well, I havent had a chance to try the restaurant in my neighborhood, yet. Now that you have reviewed your local, I think I will have to try.

Back