• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Afterthought....July/August in North Texas

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
July and August is usually a very hot/dry time here in North Texas with temperatures at or above 100F (~38C) every day and little to no rain. My plants produced very well until the hot weather hit then the chinense all but stopped setting fruit...except the 2nd year Orange Hab. Most of the Annuums kept on producing but at a lower rate and the tomatos plain stopped all together.

From what I have read, this is normal. Fruit set diminishes greatly when night time temps are at or above 80F (~27C).

In September when the temperatures started coming back down, the plants went wild with new growth, flowering, and fruit set. It is now the end of October and I have many, many pods still ripening on the plants...especially the superhots.

Has anyone else experienced this "pause" in fruiting that has similar July/August temperatures?

To me this means the earlier I can get the plants in the ground, the more I can harvest before the hot spell hits and if I can keep the plants alive and healthy thru that spell, I will have a good fall harvest.

Very similar A.J,Except obviously your in a much warmer zone to me and the u.k growers but because of a very col summer and very low
temps and Not much sun..When September came and we nice temps returning,we had very quick fruiting and flower growth which carried through till this month and just waiting for last pods to mature,But yes even though there was big difference in climate similar results :lol:

AJ,

I couldn't tell this summer but it was a funky year. Last year, my experiences were similar to yours, a nice group of peppers by early August, a few during August and early Sept. when the temps were the 90-100 degree range and then toward the middle or end of the month, the plants bursted with flowers and pods. I dug up a hab last year at about this time or maybe a week earlier and it had over 100 pods on it and that many more blooms.

This year, it was a consistent harvest but never a big one. Same with the toms - last year I might get 1-1.5 bushels at a time, this year the most was about a half-bushel. The only differences I noticed were this summer's temps were about five degrees cooler than last yast year and I didn't fertilize them as much. Last year, three different times when I watered the plants I used a fert mixture. This year, only once. We also had more rain in July last year than this year.

Mike

Summer was good this year, not too hot, but okay. I agree with you, though. I can harvest much more now than during the warm/hot months. Of course it didn't get as hot as in Texas over here, but still...

cheezydemon said:
How long until AJ builds an air conditioned retractable tent to combat high night time temps?:lol:

The thought has crossed my mind...shade cloth with a misting system is the closest that I can come that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg...

at this time (17 ° C night - 26 ° C day) my plants are exploding .... flowers and fruit .....

2974980726_ba1c8141c1.jpg

2974173316_6085f4af95.jpg

while in August suffered a lot (25 ° C night - 35 ° C day)

October is the month of pepper in my part

in questo momento (17°C notte - 26 °C giorno) le mie piante stanno esplodendo .... fiori e frutti .....

mentre ad agosto soffrivano molto (25°C notte - 35 ° C giorno)

Ottobre è il mese dei pepper dalle mie parti

megamastger71 said:
at this time (17 ° C night - 26 ° C day) my plants are exploding .... flowers and fruit .....

while in August suffered a lot (25 ° C night - 35 ° C day)

October is the month of pepper in my part

seems you and I have very similar temperatures during August...and results the same...

AlabamaJack said:
seems you and I have very similar temperatures during August...and results the same...

the first 15 days of September has done the same heat of August .... and the result was the same ...

yes ... are okay with you

i primi 15 giorni di settembre ha fatto lo stesso caldo di agosto .... ed il risultato era lo stesso ...
si ... sono d'accordo con te

I think a shade tarp would be very beneficial AJ. I use one on my greenhouse most summers and it makes a big difference, and I also know a few growers in Texas and other warmer climates that use them successfully.

AlabamaJack said:
July and August is usually a very hot/dry time here in North Texas with temperatures at or above 100F (~38C) every day and little to no rain. My plants produced very well until the hot weather hit then the chinense all but stopped setting fruit...except the 2nd year Orange Hab. Most of the Annuums kept on producing but at a lower rate and the tomatos plain stopped all together.

From what I have read, this is normal. Fruit set diminishes greatly when night time temps are at or above 80F (~27C).

In September when the temperatures started coming back down, the plants went wild with new growth, flowering, and fruit set. It is now the end of October and I have many, many pods still ripening on the plants...especially the superhots.

Has anyone else experienced this "pause" in fruiting that has similar July/August temperatures?

To me this means the earlier I can get the plants in the ground, the more I can harvest before the hot spell hits and if I can keep the plants alive and healthy thru that spell, I will have a good fall harvest.

I dont know about the pause, but my Chineses were left outside in September-October weather which the night temps were below 45 F (several times dipping blow freezing) and daytime temps never above 60 F and guess what my plants did? Dispite losing a few leaves here and there to cold weather they set fruit continously. Cold weather did NOT stop them from setting fruit. Wherever I heard they dont set below a specfic temperature, my plants totaly busted that myth.

Chiliac said:
Summer was good this year, not too hot, but okay. I agree with you, though. I can harvest much more now than during the warm/hot months. Of course it didn't get as hot as in Texas over here, but still...

I was in Bama and Florida when weather was best in Germany. Didn't miss anything either.

AlabamaJack said:

New York is about the same latitude as Rome. So you're not so far away in latitude from Sicilia. The only thing keeping Chiliac and me warm is not the latitude but the Gulf Stream. So, well, Texas is heating us up...:lol:

don't know what you got to be sorry about cheezy...everythings cool...or will be next summer :lol:

I had the exact problem with no fruit set in August. I have thought about a shade cloth before but since I grow in pots mostly I'll move some plants under a shade tree next August as needed. I think some of the no fruit set is the plants were just harvested in July.

Not seriously sorry, but something tells me I may have been the straw that put your notion a little closer to being "the next big project".:lol:

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I had the exact problem with no fruit set in August. I have thought about a shade cloth before but since I grow in pots mostly I'll move some plants under a shade tree next August as needed. I think some of the no fruit set is the plants were just harvested in July.
I've done a lot of reading and research on this issue and I've come to the conclusion that the sunlight isn't the factor that is most important to control. The ambient heat is. I had peppers both in full sunlight and under 50% shade this year and both exhibited the same problems in July and August. This coming year, I'm going to do what AJ and I discussed. I'm going to buy misters and set them up around all four sides of my pepper garden. I think the misting will lower the temps down to where the plants will keep producing nicely. Well, that's my guess anyway. I'll know next summer.

Corny, but I can'rt help it: I have this image of going to your house and viewing your garden.

You'd say " This is mister Jones, and there's mister Smith, etc. etc.";)

Then you'd complain about how you have all these misters, but they aren't helping!

cheezydemon said:
Corny, but I can'rt help it: I have this image of going to your house and viewing your garden. You'd say " This is mister Jones, and there's mister Smith, etc. etc." Then you'd complain about how you have all these misters, but they aren't helping!
Yer killin me Mister Cheezydemon! hahahahahahhahahaa

Back