• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Age of seed effect Germination?

Had a quick query. Being fairly new to the chili growing scene, I have only grown seeds straight from Pod pretty much or a week old.

Does the age of a seed effect germination?

I know of the techniqies used (know of the tea soaking, or just water soaking) before sowing for seeds, but do old seeds take longer to germinate then say fresh seeds?

Thanks

Well I've tried to plant some pepper seeds that were about 6 years old that were kept in an envelope and they never germinated. Also tried some that were frozen for about 6 months in the pod which also have yet to germinate after been in the soil for 3 weeks.

that is a loaded question...it all depends on the way the seeds are treated after harvesting...

I keep mine inside a small ziplock baggie in a sealed tin so they are dark and dry....I haven't had any problem with germinating 3 yo seeds...

Seeds can stay viable for a couple of years. With that said, seeds slowly use the energy stored within themselves. The older the seed, the less energy available, which leads to poor growth, unhealthy / weak seedlings, waiting too long and the seed dies.

The other thing that destroys viability is too hot or too cold of temperatures. As noted above, you freeze your seeds, you'd be lucky to have any germinate.

gonzomagic said:
Had a quick query. Being fairly new to the chili growing scene, I have only grown seeds straight from Pod pretty much or a week old.

Does the age of a seed effect germination?

I know of the techniqies used (know of the tea soaking, or just water soaking) before sowing for seeds, but do old seeds take longer to germinate then say fresh seeds?

Thanks

Generally yes, older seeds after a time become more difficult to germinate, but if properly stored will remain viable for several years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbank

Optimal storage conditions
Seeds are dried to a moisture content of less than 6%. The seeds are then stored in freezers at -18°C or below. Because seed DNA degrades with time, the seeds need to be periodically replanted and fresh seeds collected for another round of long-term storage.

I often germinate 8+ yr old pepper seed w/o problem. In fact, I had over 80% germination. No special techniques. :) One of my most vigorous plants, a Red Savina, was grown from seed gifted from someone saved in 2001.

I have a kind of wooden cigar type box which I plan to store them with, along with a couple of Silica bags to keep moisture down.

I plant to dry them and seal in little baggies according to plant type.

However, I plan to plant them on only in a couple of months, but wondered what effect this has upon them.

I guess they germinate fastest when fresh out of the pod.

I always dried mine well, placed them in a zip lock bag, then placed them in the freezer. Never had any issues, but I never grew the super hots either.

gonzomagic said:
IHowever, I plan to plant them on only in a couple of months, but wondered what effect this has upon them.

I wouldn't even bother with all that gonzo if you are going to plant them in a couple of months...some of my seeds from my homegrown plants don't even leave the pod until they go in the seed starting mix...the pods are air dried hanging by a string in my computer room...kinda like a ristra...

AlabamaJack said:
I wouldn't even bother with all that gonzo if you are going to plant them in a couple of months...some of my seeds from my homegrown plants don't even leave the pod until they go in the seed starting mix...the pods are air dried hanging by a string in my computer room...kinda like a ristra...

Yeah, I am more specifically talking about the Dorset Naga's, got some last week, and by gosh they were lovely. kept the seeds, but the pods didnt hang around. I had one whole pod yesterday with my meal. Kept the seeds however. If I had loads would have just let the pod dry out and only extract the seeds before sowing.

Back