Agro-Licences

Have any of you gone through the process of getting any of the licences, inspections, bonds and such for your state to sell in the farmers markets? I have been thinking of selling some maters, peppers, and plant starts, but I don't own a farm, just a backyard. I can't put out a sign on my front lawn as I live across from the city hall and police/firestation, I get every city inspector driving past my house at least twice a day, and I have some PITA neighbors who report everything...

If I run a business from the house I have to be on the up-and-up, or else...

Check out the USDA website. I have gone with them, and they put me in touch with the right people for state regulations. Had somebody out in a few weeks, and Im Certified Organic now. There are a few fees and such, but I run everything from my house, and it only ran me around 5-600 for everything in the end.

I have looked at the state level, but will go to the USDA as well.

Are you inside the Incorporated city limits? Or are you located out on zoned commercial/agricultural land. I am in a zoned residential area. So I guess I need to go across the street and ask the city zoning people some questions as well.

Is anyone selling from their residence? and making money? I suppose that is the question I really have.

I run my little pepper business from my house...I was selling at a large flea market and at a farmers market however, I found tha craigs list put them both to shame and I don't have to be somewhere for 2 or 3 days a week...just answer your email...

I am speaking for Texas regs...to be legal, you have to register your business name with the state (to get a tax number) and here in Tarrant county (Fort Worth), I had to register the name of the business locally...there is a specific category you have to apply to for selling plants/pods...different than sauce/salsa/etc...

I live in a subdivision that has 5' property lines but bought a lot that is pie shaped and I have maximized the use of my space...(~1/5th of an acre)...most of the farmers markets you try to become a member of want to come inspect your grow operation...I am not certified organic but practice organic...

I am in the city limits. For the organics and seed certifications, they wanted a layout of the farm/operation, a list of everything used from mediums to pots to fertilizers and seed sources. Once I submitted the paperwork, I paid a fee and then the state sent someone out to inspect everything and it went from there. I run my business from home. I also have a handlers certification so I can import products and repackage them and such. I try to stay on top of everything. You can sign up with your state agriculture website and get newsletters weekly with market updates, whats worth more, any possible threats out in the air, and pests on the rise, and just all around great info thats specific to your area.

First thing to do is get a DBA. If you want to just use a DBA, then your social will be your tax id number. If you are required by the state to charge taxes on anything you want to market, then you will have to get in touch with the state comptrollers office in your area.

I can help you out as far as basics, but its always good to check local and state ordinances pertaining to what you want to do.

In Louisiana and Mississippi you are allowed to sell your excess produce with no extra licences. In MS if you sell less than $10,000.00 a year
you are considered a "hobby farmer" and do not have to claim your profits on state tax's (nor can you claim your operating expenses). Check your
state laws!

Back