• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AHayastani's ГЛΟГ

I have an urban "garden" on the roof of a house in tropical Chiapas, Mexico. It's the first year that I'm growing plants - mostly Capsicum - in this location. I lived in a temperate region of Europe before, and the adaptation to different growing conditions is not without setbacks. Another issue is that not all material that I would like to use is commonly available here, so at times I have to be more creative than I actually want to be. That being said, it is also unbelievable (for me, at least) to see how some plants manage to grow in this climate even in adverse conditions (despite my bad treatment, that is).

I have obtained seeds from various sources (abbreviations in parentheses will be used in this glog): White Hot Peppers (WHP), Towns-End (town), Jayrseyshore Peppers [FB] (jay), Vertiloom (vtl), Badskin (bad), Juan GA [FB] (jga), Semillas La Palma (SLP), Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (rareseeds).

I arrived at this house in january and started my first sowings in february. This glog, however, begins in early June and I will just treat this as "the beginning".

I re-sowed a few cultivars end May since most or all of my plants of that specific cultivar had perished... My 3 plants of Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion seem to have succumbed to a virus infection, which might have been seed-born. I will soon find out... My Brazilian Mango and Aji Mango Long plants looked depressing, so I sowed the backup seeds. Serrano... I had forgotten to sow them  :confused:  Trinidad Beans Chocolate, because two out of three plants seem to be reluctant to grow and enter adulthood... Takanotsume is old seed I purchased on ebay, and I'm surprised that anything gets up. Pimenta Moranga and Monster Gum Multicolor (jga) are two cultivars that I was going to sow on March 20, but I somehow lost the seeds... but they recently resurfaced :) Germination is still OK, even though the seeds were "stored" outside  :rolleyes:

wPJyFYj.jpg

I sourced some pequin/chiltepin from the local market, one fruit per tray:

9uMmjSu.jpg

A box of failures... The seed is already old though and has not been properly stored. Cumari Pollux (SLP) is an exception though, and I will await its germination to officially declare the rest as "lost".

2KySIIU.jpg

Sowed today: Capsicum galapagoense Long (SLP).

mNvRl1o.jpg

NWwiqhM.jpg

7Ufjfce.jpg

I had some fun with tomato suckers as well... I put two suckers in water to make them grow roots (cultivar Madagascar) and gave them a baggie of dirt today and placed them with the rest.

arB6RYy.jpg
M1JntIr.jpg

I removed some more suckers and put them in water. Hopefully they will make it to tomato plant :) Three are Midnight Tiger and another Madagascar. The three shoots in perlite below are Aji Tapachula.

XJN814A.jpg

5ea45375b033640004a14ab3.png

There were a few setbacks... 🙁 In August, as good as all my plants succumbed to broad mites. Since all plants were affected simultaneously, I suspect they arrived en masse with one of the daily thunderstorms. When I noticed, it was already too late. I managed to get a few plants through, but they can be counted on one hand: Aji jobito, (not) KS White Thai, Peppadew, Piri piri 'African Devil'. KSLS and Bhut Shaped Reaper made it as well, but they are not responding well to the treatment I gave them (cutting back). I'm still not convinced they will make it. They certainly lack vigour....

I have since sown a few varieties and they seem to be doing well. I may still be eating my first peppers before Christmass 😀 Their updates, however, will appear in a new GLOG one of the following days.

Been great following your season, Dieter.
I am looking forward to trying some of the seeds you
sent me next season. Anything I can send you?

Good luck with the new round of starts, and eating
pods by Christmas!

Been great following your season, Dieter.
I am looking forward to trying some of the seeds you
sent me next season. Anything I can send you?

Good luck with the new round of starts, and eating
pods by Christmas!

Thanks Paul, that's kind and considerate of you. But I'm good 😁 If my current plantlets make it to adulthood, they'll produce enough SHU to nuke the neighbourhood 🤯 Stay tuned for my next GLOG 😊

Sad to hear of the infestation - last year I was hit bad by aphids and never really recovered. It's quite disheartening but I guess just part of nature.

But I look forward to the next glog as I'm sure it'll be as much fun as this one.

Sad to hear of the infestation - last year I was hit bad by aphids and never really recovered. It's quite disheartening but I guess just part of nature.

"Disheartening"... That must be the best description I've heard so far. I guess it must take someone who has experienced the pain to come up with it 😶

It took me completely by surprise. My "plan" to treat the plants every few days with neem clearly was a success: few whiteflies and aphids, even few mealybugs. Whatever pest persisted and roamed in the garden was easily controlled manually. I had become to rely on its success but then received a cold shower. Part of nature... I have noticed that pest pressure has been remarkably high this year in almost all areas of the city.

Back