Ahoy!

Hello pals.

I'm a young web developer by vocation and sound engineer by education. I live in the glorious molten city of Phoenix. I play a lot of video games, and like to think about doing things that I will probably never do. I also have a great affinity for hot peppers, although I assure you I'm nowhere near as educated on the topic as the rest of you. Teach me!

I eat a ton of spicy food, yet I consider myself fairly inexperienced. A few months ago I got some dried + smoked bhut jolokias and even some of the raw flakes as a seasoning, but honestly I hate the flavor. I keep scarfing them down for the heat, however. I've also tried CaJohn's Trinidad Moruga Scorpion hot sauce, and it has instantly become my favorite hot sauce. I'm not sure if it's the pepper that he puts in it or what, but it's DELICIOUS. If it isn't that pepper that gives that hot sauce its remarkable flavor, I'd have to say that my favorite thus far is, and don't judge me, the jalapeno. Okay, fine, go ahead and have your laughs. It's just so tasty!

About the same time I got that hot sauce and learned that the Trinidad Moruga earned the new record for highest SHU rating, my wife began trying to grow tea plants (she loves tea). It inspired me, and I decided to join her in trying to grow my own pepper plants. Since then, I've been struggling with this current short line-up:
  • Jalapeno (shut up! :( )
  • Orange Habanero
  • Yellow Bhut Jolokia
  • Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (x2)
And on that note, I need some advice from some pros. I have no idea what I'm doing besides pouring water in some pots that I think are getting dry. I've also read somewhere that these peppers do well in higher climates, but I have some fear that the AZ sun will scorch and incinerate them. It's not even May and it's already around 110 F here. I've been able to identify a fungus gnat infestation as well, and just started addressing that with Gnatrol as of today. If anyone has any sweet tips for someone who has never grown a single thing in their life before, I'd be grateful!

Anyways, as I was saying... hello!

:welcome: Welcome aboard! Your answers are here, just 'dig' into the forums.
Lots of Great folks here. Warning-chilihead fever will overpower you
Good luck with your grow! :onfire:

HI and welcome from Southern California :woohoo: . Nothing wrong with "Jalapenos", Im growing them to keep my Mexican cred :D. The THP site has tons of helpful hints. Also dont forget to follow peoples blogs for helpful ideas and inspiration. I will give you two things to start you off... Dont over water!!! and Learn about "worm tea".... Now go forth and multiply (Chiles i mean) !!!!

Back