• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Aji Brazilian Starfish?

Anyone grow them or have experience with them? Pros? Cons? Heat? Flavor? I’m looking for all the input and details I can get. Might possibly order some seeds for the next season…just need to know what I’m up against before I do.

Very easy to grow - lots of crunch, nice sweet flavour but relatively little heat.

49038951472_8ec6fb682f_c.jpg

I grew them last year. Monster plant, with very high production. Without a doubt it was the most productive plant. It had the largest root system I have ever seen in capsicum.
The heat is compared to something really soft. Most offered a tongue tingle, some hitting the low jalapeno level.
The flavor was sweet, crunchy and juicy, but the truth is that it didn't stand out as much as many other baccatums do.
The shape of the pods is spectacular.

Last edited:
I like them. As others have said, it tends to be a big, productive plant. Pods are crunchy and sweet. Sometimes I notice fruity notes that remind me of red berries, and occasionally a slight floralness as well, but the floral usually vanishes pretty quickly, when it is present at all. Mine are typically somewhere around Serrano heat level. They would be well worth trying, IMO.

I grow these every year. Or should say attempt to. I've had about as much success with these germinating as I have the Datil (true Datil). I START them, sometimes they don't take. This year was a good year for both. I would say they are definitely worth growing. Sweet on the outside and pick up some heat on way to center (up to Serrano level as mentioned above). I've had several say tastes like a Starburst.

They have a good taste, a thick peel and a low number of seeds. They are a meaty pepper, more like a Jalapeno or a Serrano. The plants are very large and "Branchy" vs Dense. So be sure to give them plenty of room. They will set ripes before the plant reaches it's full size. Heat wise, barely hotter than Jalapeno. They do also have that distinct "Baccatum" taste to them.

The thick peel, and low number of seeds makes it easy to separate them out from the meat if you making sauces, or powders.

Despite their sweet taste, when you make a "vinegar sauce" with them they get a very distinct tart taste.

When cooked in a liquid the meat of the pepper tends to "dissolve" with time. For sauces this is good because it makes a very nice smooth sauce easily. However if you say wanted chunks/mince in a stew you would have to add it closer to the end of the cook.

I like them. As others have said, it tends to be a big, productive plant. Pods are crunchy and sweet. Sometimes I notice fruity notes that remind me of red berries, and occasionally a slight floralness as well, but the floral usually vanishes pretty quickly, when it is present at all. Mine are typically somewhere around Serrano heat level. They would be well worth trying, IMO.
They have a good taste, a thick peel and a low number of seeds. They are a meaty pepper, more like a Jalapeno or a Serrano. The plants are very large and "Branchy" vs Dense. So be sure to give them plenty of room. They will set ripes before the plant reaches it's full size. Heat wise, barely hotter than Jalapeno. They do also have that distinct "Baccatum" taste to them.

The thick peel, and low number of seeds makes it easy to separate them out from the meat if you making sauces, or powders.

Despite their sweet taste, when you make a "vinegar sauce" with them they get a very distinct tart taste.

When cooked in a liquid the meat of the pepper tends to "dissolve" with time. For sauces this is good because it makes a very nice smooth sauce easily. However if you say wanted chunks/mince in a stew you would have to add it closer to the end of the cook.

Well I guess I'm going to add these to my 2024 growing list! They sound great. I'm wondering if they might stuff well.

Last edited:
...I'm wondering if they might stuff well.

Well, Meathead1313 sure thought so, lol.

The plants I've grown produce typical big, bushy, baccatum plants that sprout hundreds of pods over the season. They're easy to grow and fairly tolerant of Tucson heat, although the flowering does shut down during the dead of summer. Pods are smaller than golf balls, thin walled, crunchy, a little sweet, and quite flavorful, with very mild heat in the flesh. The compact placenta can be a little warm, but even that is hardly 'hot' by any standard. I've got gobs of seeds; PM me or ride the seeds train.

I had a disaster with my plants this year when the neighbor - trying to be helpful - turned the wrong knob and shut off off the water supply to my drip timer when I was away. The only survivor of 7 big overwintered plants was the starfish. It was near dead, but has bounced back and is just now ripening a whole herd of pods.

Hi Guy's

I've been toying with adding this variety to my 2024 capsicum baccatum trial "out doors" here in Scottish summer ! :shocked:

Wondering how it tastes unripe ? As its very likely here in Scotland I will run out of year before they ripen :banghead:

I prefer green bell peppers to yellow, Orange or Red so you see where I'm coming from planning to try different capsicum baccatum to find a good cropper I can use green as it's very unlikely any will ripen in my wee Scottish garden.

Stephen

Hi Guy's

I've been toying with adding this variety to my 2024 capsicum baccatum trial "out doors" here in Scottish summer ! :shocked:

Wondering how it tastes unripe ? As its very likely here in Scotland I will run out of year before they ripen :banghead:

I prefer green bell peppers to yellow, Orange or Red so you see where I'm coming from planning to try different capsicum baccatum to find a good cropper I can use green as it's very unlikely any will ripen in my wee Scottish garden.

Stephen

I know you’re asking about the starfish but have you tried cayennes? You can pick them green, still have plenty of flavor and some heat. Would be a good one to consider if you have a short season.

I know you’re asking about the starfish but have you tried cayennes? You can pick them green, still have plenty of flavor and some heat. Would be a good one to consider if you have a short season.
Funny you say that.......I currently grow Ring of Fire both in my greenhouse outside and harvest them green and use them as a substitute for green Indian chillies in Indian dishes 😋

Hi Guy's

Stephen
For a short season baccatum I would suggest sugar rush peach - it's very quick to grow and pod up and they are pretty good immature.

For a short season baccatum I would suggest sugar rush peach - it's very quick to grow and pod up and they are pretty good immature.
I have added that to my plan next year after reading more about it here. I had toyed with it a couple times, but I already have seeds on hand now for '24. Looking forward to that being one of my new additions - and from sound of it, I likely will be growing again. I love flavor in peppers and of course productivity... don't produce much - this guy won't bother.

Back