Aji Charapita peppers

My plant is not PI 441624, but very well could be PI 260501 except the pods were never purple at any stage. It is hard to tell the size from the pics that the USDA links to. The leaf patterns on my pepper make it clear it is a c baccatum. If you google up "Bode Amarillo," you will find my posts on this forum, but nothing else. That is why I am still a little skeptical of the name.

The problem with the colour Purple is sometimes it's a colour stage while other times it's caused by the sun-southern exposed plants put out a purple pod while northern or whatever exposed plants don't get any purple...

Also,the USDA site isn't the most accurate data site around.
They show the same picture for several peppers.
Doesn't matter what the pepper is , Annuum,Baccatun or whatever.
Gotta expect things like that,being screwed up , it's a Gov. pre requisite for anything the Gov. does.
If it isn't messed up they'll have it FUBAR in no time.

dragon: try googling "bode amarela" and "bode vermelha"--these are Brazilian strains, and you're using the Spanish words rather than Portuguese for your colors.

K - It is not this - http://petterssononline.com/habanero/peppers.php?action=variety&id=1200 from a bode amarela search. It could be this - http://www.pimentasartesanais.com.br/produtos.asp?produto=2515 although mine were much milder than the reported scovilles from the page. This page uses the same pic - http://gardenmania.com.br/products/Sementes-de-Pimenta-Bode-Amarela.html

Looks like this as well - http://comidinhasdobem.blogspot.com/2011/12/apimentando.html

The vermelha look to be maturing red, while mine mature yellow.

Hummmmmm, it's about time for another batch of my Brewers Series sauces and this might be just the ticket.

Aji Charapita and maybe some Aji amarillo or Rocoto's fermented, maybe with Lost Pirate stout, hummmmmm...........

wheebz, I'll be in the RocketMan Skunk Works if you need me.

The USDA site is actually pretty good, but you have to know what it is presenting.  The photos shown include the variety indicated...  But they may also include other varieties!  So for PI 441624  they are the yellow ones. The red ones are something else. Also, the other info is sometimes simply posted as it's received from the source, not from USDA.  As projects are conducted, more scrutiny is made to the collections and donations to the germplasm collection. Then more accurate information is included. So it's not consistent (but you get what they have so far).  You can be more assured if you look at the entry and see what projects or observations of the variety have been made.  As for this one, I think it's C. chinense and not C. baccatum.  Leaves are not the best determiner of species, flowers are.  But this plant is a bit 'out there' so I would not say it's not something else (or a stable hybrid). The flowers were a bit strange, and this year I'm taking a sample up to the herbarium here (I'm a botanist).  It has one of the most fragrant fruits of any I've ever grown (also very C. chinense-like).  I cut into one (one tiny fruit) and it filled the room!  It's also one of the hottest peppers I've ever grown.  I grew Trinidad moruga scorpions and this rivaled them pound for pound, the the scorpions were probably hotter.  It was not late for me at all - only about 75 days till first fruits.  I have hot, very sunny days, cool nights, and very low humidity.  I love this plant and am growing out about 15 plants (maybe more in pots as well) this year.  I'm selling them at our local farmer's market too - as ornamental plants - that you can eat as well.

Still have not got a definitive ID.  It's even hard for botanists.  Actually there are no native plants in this genus here, and there are thousands of species in the region, so it's not surprising no one is an 'expert' on Capsicum.  

The plants did very well last year.  I harvested a couple cups of peppers.  You need to grow a large number of these to get only a small amount of peppers.  I made a hot pepper vinegar of them.  Wonderful.

Back