• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Limon keeps on dropping fruits shortly after they begin forming.

Been doing two teaspoons neem to one teaspoon soap in a quart of water and shaking up the bottle until I don't see any visible yellow before each spraying session..

I bought a pressure mister recently since I've heard it helps to ensure the neem and soap are distributed evenly.

I did at least learn a valuable lesson from this, which is that if a plant is suddenly showing deformities and browning of the leaves that pests are a much more likely cause then any kind of deficiency. The nicer plant had only a minor infestation going on but the other plant had it really bad for the buds and leaves to be dying off completely. It may very well have been the mites that were responsible for the bolting and stunted growth rather then the soil quality, and the sudden flush of lower growth was probably triggered in response to that as well.

Broad mites are a bad, but keep after them.  You'll win, eventually.  I might encourage you to keep a non-sprayed plant nearby, to encourage them to migrate.  Even if you just pot up an old weed. They like everything green - it's how I've come to learn when an attack is imminent.  Every plant surrounding my raised beds starts getting crumply.  Anyway, once they've infested the new plant, burn it with fire.  But keep up the Neem treatment.
There are better miticides, but Neem is the most gentle, and probably safest substance to use. (given that there are people that actually use Neem for internal use)

I tried battling broadmite for almost a year, I tried all types of things including emulsified neem, lost alot of plants and the only things that actually removed them was some hard chemicals and then a conviently timed move to another city and I haven't seen any since then. Should note that the chemicals did kill them and the eggs off, but they kept coming back after 1-2 months because the whole neighbourhood was infested badly.

What worked for me was shifting between abamectin and another one I forgot the name of. I stopped the abamectin after a few application's since it's pretty nasty stuff that stays in the plant for a while and nothing you want to use when starting to fruit. Will check what the other chemical is called and let you know tomorrow, just make sure to protect your body when applying that nasty stuff.

I have them as bad as you can get them here.  The trick is to make sure that you're getting full coverage on the plants.  Terminal buds are where they live, but I actually put my hand on top of the leaves, and give the undersides a very good spray.  I have them under control in 1-2 sprayings, and use the rest as preventative.  But if you keep ahead of them, they won't favor your plants over others...

I noticed today that the mites have been hiding inside of the flowers on the developing fruits before the petals have even fallen off.

Would help explain why I never seemed to be able to get rid of them for long.

I'm wondering if diatomaceous earth might help keep them in check by preventing them from moving around the plant as easily if I spray it on the stems, since I thought I had them under control last week only to notice that all of the once pristine new growth had become wrinkled or shriveled.

In an interesting development, it seems like the dumpy-looking plant has finally started to set fruit again after almost a month of dropping buds.

I guess I'll just keep waging war on those accursed mites with regular spray treatments and perhaps I'll have enough fruits ready by late summer/early fall to make a sauce.
I am wondering whether or not it would be better to just completely remove the growing tips that have been badly damaged by the mites (Browning with all of the leaves/buds gone), though.

As an update on this matter, the stunted-looking plant in the first post is currently my most reliable producer and has gotten quite a bit bushier with only minimal fruit drop. The mites seem to have finally been eradicated, too.

My two bigger plants however have only yielded a single ripe fruit between the two of them and while the fruits are getting larger (One and half inches long on average), they still generally fall off before they can get ripe. The largest plant is also getting brown blemishes on some of the fruits, and both plants have been exhibiting more yellowing/dropping of the lower leaves then the smaller plant has, though this likely has to do with the fact that they've subsisted on almost nothing but the fertilizer included in their Pro Mix, while the small plant has had all the manner of different ferts granular and liquid applied sparingly throughout its lifetime.

The small plant is still under the shadecloth, but the other two are getting full sun exposure. Daytime temps are sitting in the mid 80s and the night temps aren't much lower and are hovering in the mid 70s to low 80s. Been watering sparingly; generally only when the leaves start getting droopy.

Will provide pictures once it's not night time to see if maybe there's something I should be doing for the plants.

Dr. Bronner's. Always have tons of the stuff on hand for bathing purposes.

Pretty sure the mites are gone now, though, because I haven't seen any warping/stunting of the new growth on the plants for a while now.

Still spraying for the whiteflies and leaf miners, though.

Back