• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Mango: Which is the original? Which one is better?

Chileheads,

I saw a video on Youtube of Johnny Scoville raving about the flavor an elongated form of Aji Mango.   That's the form for which I bought seeds and now make a hot sauce I really like.   I recently learned of the stubby phenotype of Aji Mango that many people also grow.   I've not grown the stubby one yet, but will be adding it next year.

Have any of you folks grown both kinds?   If so, which is your preference and why?

SCARBO

AjiMangoLong.jpg

AjiMangoStumpy.jpg

I have not grown both ..... only the elongated .... we like it.  

I have grown both. To me. the flavor seemed very similar if not identical, but the elongated type was significantly hotter and had a sharper, stingier burn. So for me, the heat level and the appearance were the only notable differences between the two. I don't know if the elongated pheno is always supposed to be hotter than the stubby pheno or not, but that was the case with the genetics that I grew out.

I grow the stubby and have been for about 5 years, skipped last year but grew it again this year. Grew two plants, one a pale orange like the photo and other is a very bright dark orange, keeper for next year. These were on the hot side, more than I remember but very citrusy as well. If you want seeds DM me.
275db0a5e32656e3c94dc1819066e48b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickvm said:
I grow the stubby and have been for about 5 years, skipped last year but grew it again this year. Grew two plants, one a pale orange like the photo and other is a very bright dark orange, keeper for next year. These were on the hot side, more than I remember but very citrusy as well. If you want seeds DM me.

RickVM,

I've got seeds for both for next season, but that was kind of you to offer.   I just wanted to get a sense from folks which one was the overall better version, mostly from a taste standpoint.   Thanks again.

SCARBO

Looks like it’s still green. Are they starting to get mushy? Other pods the same color?

rickvm said:
Looks like it’s still green. Are they starting to get mushy? Other pods the same color?

It stayed firm and it was only one pod. It was from the last year season. I had also White Hot Lime that all pods turned  red some reason but the chili that I gave to my mother made correct color pods. I think its unstable and off pheno. I  wonder where that pale green/yellow comes from. I may grow it again and see when I have a space for it.

Definitely grow it again. Was it hot like the white hot lime? I’d be interested in a seed swap

rickvm said:
Definitely grow it again. Was it hot like the white hot lime? Id be interested in a seed swap

I dont remember well but Hot white lime's heat and taste was similar to original sinap color. Which one?? I have some Aji Mango seeds but no white hot lime red. The white hot lime is outside and almost dead.

Karpasruuti said:
I dont remember well but Hot white lime's heat and taste was similar to original sinap color. Which one?? I have some Aji Mango seeds but no white hot lime red. The white hot lime is outside and almost dead.

White Hot Lime was quite prolific for me this summer.   What a terrific all-around pepper.   My couple of plants of it all threw the same color peppers, with no red to speak of.   I'm glad I saved seeds.

whl1a.jpg

whl2a.jpg

whl3a.jpg

Karpasruuti said:
@SCARBO Looks just like chilies are from my mum plant. Sadly I don't have good photos. If you want my Aji Mango seeds I can trade or give :)

I purchased seeds of the stubby phenotype already and am using seeds I've saved of the long phenotype from this year's crop (the chiles in the first photo in the thread.)  That's kind of you to offer.

Back