• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Margariteno, Mako Akokosrade, Manganji

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker, but a new poster. My question is about three varieties I just acquired via SSE, none of them are really all that hot (I know, off to a bad start here) :-) , but ya'll are the most pepper knowledgable people around, so this seemed like a good place to start.

Has anybody grown any of these before? Thoughts? The SSE yearbook descriptions are below.

Aji Margariteño is a sweet C. chinense variety, indigenous to Margarita Island, with an intense flavor and aroma distinct from its mainland counterparts

Mako Akokosrade 90+ days, Capsicum chinense. Plants produce abundant quantities of pointed, wrinkled, dark yellow peppers. By far, the most aromatic pepper variety I've encountered anywhere, with an intense habanero aroma, with strong notes of melon and even a little mango. Ghanaians use this to add extra aroma to peppery dishes. 'Mako akokosrade' means 'yellow pepper' in the Twi langauge., The original seeds were collected on 2011.08.29, at a roadside market in Nkrakum village, outside Koforidua, East Akyim District, Eastern Region, Ghana.

Manganji 90 days, A long thin pepper that is a regional specialty from an area near Kyoto, it is an cross between fushimi and Cal Wonder bell pepper made some 80 years ago. Plants are 24 inches tall and quite prolific. Fruity, rich flavor - especially good grilled when either green or fully mature red.

Those sound really great! I'd grow the three of them. Heat is something but taste is important too!

In fact if you are interested to sell or trade let me know.

I am growing the Mako also.I had a very good powder made by cmpman with this pepper. It was hotter than a stock Habanero with better flavor and aromatics. This was the review from the 100 pepper powder review. \

Cmpman1974 Mako Akokosrade Grape Smoked
With added shades of yellow due to the smoking, it helps to make this the most uniformed looking powder to date. Like starring at a swatch at a paint store. It became a sort of “Wheres Waldo” to find anything out of place. Mouthwatering caramel and smoke with a backdrop of C. chinense. The burn is rather stealth, but noticeable. This seems like it can go at you harder, but decides, I am fine right here. Hot plus

I guess I will go back to it again today. I do remember it being rather fruity though. I still have 35 powders left. The Mako was also a very fast germinator. It seems to be growing well. Good luck, the other two sound intresting. pp

im only growing it this year for the first and i may only have one plant
the others i do not have sorry i really wish i could help

thanks your friend Joe

Hi PaddyMc!

Those first two varieties sound amazing (Aji Margariteño and Mako Akokosrade). I'd love to try them. I'm assuming that the SSE is the Seed Savers Exchange? Unfortunately I'm in the UK and they do not deliver to us.

If you have spare seeds and are willing I could PM you a list of varieties I have and we could trade?

Or failing that does anyone know a commercial source for these varieties?

Many thanks!

I'm growing the Mako this year but my plant is a really slow grower so far. 2 months old and still only 8 inches tall. Really interested in the Margarita pepper. My wife and I will be taking a trip there, hopefully next year.

Matt

Hi PaddyMc!

Those first two varieties sound amazing (Aji Margariteño and Mako Akokosrade). I'd love to try them. I'm assuming that the SSE is the Seed Savers Exchange? Unfortunately I'm in the UK and they do not deliver to us.

If you have spare seeds and are willing I could PM you a list of varieties I have and we could trade?

Or failing that does anyone know a commercial source for these varieties?

Many thanks!

Dropped all the seeds I got for these already, but I'd be happy to send you some next season. As far as a commercial source, I don't know; I got them via Seed Savers Exchange ( not the commercial site, but directly from other SSE members.) You could join seed savers, and get them from the same people I did. Good luck!

Dropped all the seeds I got for these already, but I'd be happy to send you some next season. As far as a commercial source, I don't know; I got them via Seed Savers Exchange ( not the commercial site, but directly from other SSE members.) You could join seed savers, and get them from the same people I did. Good luck!

Not to worry, thanks for replying anyway! :)

Back