• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Aji Panca = Dried Aji Colorado

Thegreenchilemonster said:
If you're buying seeds for aji panca, then you are buying seeds for aji colorado, that you intend on drying into aji panca. Aji panca is only a term used to describe a dried aji colorado, and not it's own type of aji. One of the reasons a Peruvian made book, written in Spanish, by a Peruvian author, about Peruvian peppers, is so that these types of topics will have a definitive answer about the subject, and we can continue expanding our knowledge about the plants we love to grow.

Anglicized is the word I meant to type, BTW.

Also, claiming that Semillas is a Spanish speaking firm, so they are the definitive resource about Peruvian peppers is not the best reference. That is like saying that an Australian site is the best resource for info on American fried chicken, since they are both English speaking countries.
So, that still doesn´t explain the different colors and species between Colorado and Panca....

As to your ¨anglicized¨ comment, i´m sure you know what that means, which is why the issue isn´t about trying to turn non-English terms into English; maybe it´s more about non-Peruvian people not understanding Peruvian cultivars?  I never claimed that Peter at Semillas is ¨the definitive resource about Peruvian peppers;¨ I just used a convenient Spanish-speaking example to suggest that anglicisation is unlikely to be the culprit of the confusion here. Either way, Semillas is selling chinense with brown pods as ¨Aji Panca¨ and baccatum with red pods as ¨Aji Colorado.¨  Most other online vendors follow the same conventions.  

Aside from the ¨Ajies Peruanos: Sazón Para el Mundo¨ book, I´m not seeing any other references to them being the same. FWIW, the ¨Ajies...¨ book lists the Colorado as chinense, and they also say that Aji Especial is the same variety, too...  I´m just wondering how/why this particular discrepancy exists; I kinda doubt that it´s a language barrier thing.

Here is a 229 page study done on the ajies of Peru.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://upc.aws.openrepository.com/upc/bitstream/10757/315244/2/garcia_ya-rest.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjyua_fut7VAhUDSiYKHfpRBg04FBAWCDAwBA&usg=AFQjCNHddDBWNp5w5R3BL4mLuO8qFTGWTw

The first picture is of page 39, which lists each variety of aji, by classification, and all of the names used to describe the same aji. In this case, panca, especial, and colorado are listed as being the exact same pepper, just with exchangeable names.

The second picture is from page 62, which also lists the aji panca as being called "aji panca o colorado".

Interestingly enough, the picture of the aji panca/aji colorado used as a reference in this in depth study, happens to come from the semillas.de website.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170817-102118.png
    Screenshot_20170817-102118.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20170817-102321.png
    Screenshot_20170817-102321.png
    389.3 KB · Views: 63
Nice.  Almost as interesting as the Semillas photo credit (which is pretty amazing!) is the fact that it shows what appear to be brown, fresh pods.  Now i am curious as to what the red frute that is commonly sold as ¨Colorado¨ actually is...

They do typically allow the pods to over ripen and dry on the plant itself, which to me, seems lile the reason a pod would be brown on the plant.

The decription in the book says:

Panca o colorado:

El ají panca se consume generalmente seco, pero cuando está fresco es de
color rojo oscuro y a medida que se va secando va llegando a un tono más
achocolatado. Su picor es bajo pero brinda un color intenso (Ver Figura 7).

Translation:
Aji panca is generally consumed dry, but when it is fresh, it is a dark red color and during the drying process it takes a more chocolate tone. It's spiciness is low, but offers an intense color.

Here is what Peter had to say
"Sent Today, 02:05 PM
I got the Aji Colorado = C. baccatum v. pendulum from a american source minimum 10 years ago

I know that sometimes dried Aji Panca is called Aji colorado.

Aji Panca is C. chinense
I bought dried pods last year in Lima out of a big bag.

The two varieties have nothing common.

Peter"
End Quote

Back