Aji Panca

Picked up a bag of dried Peruvian AJI PANCA chillies out of curiosity. 

el-sabor-de-casa-aji-panca-secco-24x100g.jpg

Never heard of the strain, googled and found THIS : 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/spice-hunting-aji-panca-chile-peruvian.html 

And indeed, these things have a very strong blueberry flavor. It's like eating smoked, dried fruit (which essentially is what a chilli IS). Very sweet. 

Wikipedia says it's a Chinense !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aj%C3%AD_Panca

I call bs on that scenario.There is hardly any heat to be discerned. Maybe the slightest undertones of very mild burn but hardly noticeable. I would prefer a little more whomp. 

Question is : Are they hotter fresh ?

No, they really aren't Slugger. They're actually a C. Baccatum and have a really long growing season for that genetic type. I tried to grow them here in New England last season. The plants were lush and loaded with pods, but none of them actually ripened for me before the frost killed the plants. I had to buy the pods to sample them.

stickman said:
No, they really aren't Slugger. They're actually a C. Baccatum and have a really long growing season for that genetic type. I tried to grow them here in New England last season. The plants were lush and loaded with pods, but none of them actually ripened for me before the frost killed the plants. I had to buy the pods to sample them.
Where you get the seeds??  

Interesting. My ears are perked... the blueberry flavor on these dried ones is beyond faint. 
It's actually very strong. 

hot stuff said:
I do believe it is a c. Chinense though. Not all of them are hot.
no its a baccatum from what i gather

Sluggy said:
Interesting. My ears are perked... the blueberry flavor on these dried ones is beyond faint. 
It's actually very strong. 
they are more berry like dried than fresh

I grew these this year, I had read that these were Chinense, and the flowers definitely looked Chinense to me, though the pods do look more baccatum like and they don't have a chinense taste at all.

I wasn't impressed with fresh pods, The taste was fine, but the flesh was really thin and the skin was really tough, more like apple skin. I used one pod in a hot sauce along with some chocolate habs which tasted great. The rest of my pods in in the freezer until I get around to drying them.

You can see some of my fresh pods here (the long dark brown pods):
15361883866_e74e634166_b_d.jpg

Back