• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Aji Paprika - more specific?

I received some Aji Paprika seeds from a friend in Peru last year.  There was a dried pod included, and it tasted really good.  So, I thought that I'd give it a shot this year in my grow.  The seeds were a PITA to get started.  Several germination fails.  When they did germinate, helmets were a problem.  I killed a couple in sprout transplant - don't know why.  Finally, I had one take.  I made it into a 1 gal pot by April, then, it had a month or so of looking pretty rough (don't know why), and it almost died.  Finally, we made it outside, things turned around, good veg growth, but few sets.  Late in August, pods started coming on.  They kept getting bigger, it started to cool, and here are these big green pods, showing little indication of turning.  Frost is here, so the plant got trimmed and is sitting in the living room. So, I finally got one to turn red, and got a few seeds (first success), now, hopefully a few more will turn as well.

I took some pics, that fairly well represent.  I'll try to overwinter to get a jump on things next year, and maybe start seeds a little earlier.  

So, is there a more specific variety than just Aji Paprika?  I've done a fair amount of searching, but have come up with no solid hits.  If anybody has any ideas, I'd like to know. 
Thanks

JUxD3be.jpg

rUhRWwt.jpg

nMfF77I.jpg

cAcx9M6.jpg

4dfbRnb.jpg

853tI7u.jpg

I don't know Aji Paprika, but I might know a few things that can help you. To begin with, aji is very general term used for chile in South America. In Mexico, the word aji is rather uncommon. Secondly, paprika is generally understood in the Spanish speaking world, but it is strictly speaking not Spanish... Pimentón is the Spanish language equivalent.

Searching for pimentón, I found the following South American product: Badia Paprika

01003011_Pimenton_BADIA_56.7g.jpg

I find that the paprika shown on the label looks like the chile in your image. I assume that "aji paprika" is not the name of this particular variety, but rather a descriptive term to say "paprika".

Perhaps our South American friends can shed some light on this :)

As far as ripening time goes, try to be patient: One of my favorite peppers are the Peruvian Aji Amarillos, and though they're easily germed, low maintenance and eager to fruit, the ripening can be an aggravation. I live in Zone 3, a miserable place to grow exotic peppers, you might think, but grow they do. The trick is manipulating your season to accommodate ripening pods. I had an Aji Amarillo in a container last season that finally ripened up well after Christmas in a south facing mudroom window. I'm having a bit better luck this year, same place in the mudroom, but pods are ripening up nicely as I type.

Those Paprikas look enticing. Nice plant! 

Yea, I have those same amarillo's. Harvested many, but many more on 2 plants hanging out in a couple of buckets in my garage at the moment. I pick about 2 a day to go into the banana bag. They ripen decently, at about the same rate that I'm making poppers. So, no net gain, but the green ones are pretty good too.

Tho, the wife and I heard a news report a couple of days ago about bringing in plants to brighten your mood with the current turmoil. That bucket of paprika came right in (happens to be the day before the frost), and I told my wife that it was for her mental health. She is lukewarm, and the dog seems annoyed... But, whatever it takes, for her. Right?

Mmmm, I like to ripen them as much as possible "on the vine" just in case I have desires for seeds.

I ruined my marriage last winter, keeping upwards of 30 plants in the livingroom and the ensuing aphid infestation of virtually all her houseplants. This winter I plan on keeping 10% of that, and isolating the lot in a sealed environment in my studio.

She gave me the Eye of You'd Better, but so far, so good...

stettoman said:

I ruined my marriage last winter, keeping upwards of 30 plants in the livingroom and the ensuing aphid infestation of virtually all her houseplants. This winter I plan on keeping 10% of that, and isolating the lot in a sealed environment in my studio.

This year my main focus is house plants, after the aphidpococylpse of last winter.. And just noticed a bunch of little suckerfaces on my De Seda. No adults or dew around the other plants so I think I got lucky and caught it in time. 

Back