• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Peruvian

this is my second year in attempting to grow Aji Peruvian. last year i tried in 2 separate batches and this year just 1 batch so far.

the plants are always started in promix, then moved to potting soil when potting up, the plants get to about 4" tall and then this. it doesn't appear to be a fertilizer burn as the leaves just shrivel and this year i purposely only gave them water. some plants i have kept in the heated germination station with higher humidity, others outside the chamber..... results are always the same.

thinking the next batch i may try moving them from soil to hydroponic(dwc) and see if that pushes them past the shrivel phase.

Why not just keep them in Pro-Mix, it seems the potting soil was the break point.  As long as my plants are in the 4" containers I dont worry about transplanting until I plant outside then I go for Potting soil or whatever.   Potting soil will retain moisture much longer than a lighter Pro-Mix.  It could be just a case of damping off

2 things come to mind - overwatering and ph is way off.
If you don't have a way to check ph try just using bottled water and let the soil dry out between watering.

I see you already tried different temps and humidity levels so the only other thing common to all situations is the water.

Hawaiianero said:
2 things come to mind - overwatering and ph is way off.
If you don't have a way to check ph try just using bottled water and let the soil dry out between watering.

I see you already tried different temps and humidity levels so the only other thing common to all situations is the water.
That's true about the ph. I was think about that earlier with the pro mix,but the water can throw the ph out too. :think:  

Burning Colon said:
this is my second year in attempting to grow Aji Peruvian. last year i tried in 2 separate batches and this year just 1 batch so far.

the plants are always started in promix, then moved to potting soil when potting up, the plants get to about 4" tall and then this. it doesn't appear to be a fertilizer burn as the leaves just shrivel and this year i purposely only gave them water. some plants i have kept in the heated germination station with higher humidity, others outside the chamber..... results are always the same.

thinking the next batch i may try moving them from soil to hydroponic(dwc) and see if that pushes them past the shrivel phase.

Aji Peruvian is a Baccatum, right? Have you had success with other Baccatums, and using your current regimen? Those plants look downright sick. I haven't run across any Baccatums that don't get tall, leggy, and reach for the skies as youngins.

thank you all who responded for your input.
i am assuming the seeds are not diseased but this could end up being the final result.

Why not just keep them in Pro-Mix, it seems the potting soil was the break point

i start all my seed in either 1.5 x.1.5 x 2.5(6 cells), 1.5x2.5x2.5(4 cells) and try to fit as many as possible in my 10" x 20" x 3" heated germination container that i have 2 lids, the standare 3" clear plastic lid and a 6" high lid. once roots appear from the bottom of the cell, i transplant into 2.5 x 2.5 x 3" single container; usually a full cells are ready at the same time. once the seedling are in this state, i add a timer to the heating pad so it comes on twice a day(early morning hours, then again in the evening). the germination chamber is under a 4', 2 bulb T8 lights(1 6500, 1 2700). plants like annuums get moved out of the chamber. so if i hear you correctly, try sowing the seed directly into larger containers, in full promix and avoid the potting up until the plants mature in the larger containers(at some point in time they have to go into larger 1 quart containers. this is an option.

2 things come to mind - overwatering and ph is way off

i don't tend to over water but since i don't use fans it might be possible that soil becomes stagnate in the container, the containers that stayed on the heating pad dry out fast but the one i moved out may have held the water. city water ph varies from 6.5 - 8.5 as being acceptable, looking at local brewer forums state 6.8 ph at tap. i could try distilled water but fear using a fertilizer and introduce a new problem. perhaps the aji peruvian requires 5.5 - 6.

Have you had success with other Baccatums

yes, inca red drop, burpee hot lemon, bishop crown off the top of my head. hot lemon is a screamer and grew like a giant stick.  but these peruvians are sharing space with mostly chinense varieties this year.

all my other plants should be moved out of the heated chamber by next week and perhaps i can give it another whirl.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I haven't run across any Baccatums that don't get tall, leggy, and reach for the skies as youngins.

Same. My Baccatum younglings get much more leggy than my peppers from all other families.

@Burning Colon
Where in Peru does the pepper originate? Perhaps finding that out and replicating the native temperature and humidity as best as possible will help. Maybe it's just really sensitive in that regard. *shrug* Don't have anything else to suggest that hasn't already been.

that's exactly right Spicy guy, exactly where in Peru does the pepper originate. by accident i figured out the hot lemon from equador has the exact micro climate as i do, in the heart of summer. of course peru is a different country and larger with cold mountainous terrain....exactly what i have. one of the reasons i bought the seeds, thinking peru can be cooler, thus perhaps the plant will do well in my backyard. all i have to go on is pepperlover's info which is limited.

i'll be coming up with a new growing plant in a week or two, which is why i am leaning towards dwc, since my season is so short, an april start doesn't give me a lot of time but is stuck in hydro perhaps the plants will push pass the shrivel zone.

Back