• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

AJ's Red (Chili)

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
AJ's Red (Chili)

Manufacturer: AlabamaJack

Ingredients: Link
4 Lb Chili Grind Top Sirloin
2 Lb Ground Pork
12 Oz Mild Italian Sausage (5 links)
12 Oz Hot Italian Sausage (5 links)
2 12 oz Tubes Chorizo
6 16 Oz cans Hunts Fire Roasted Tomato's
2 Large White Onions Diced
*1 Habanero Pepper
*5 Tabasco Peppers
*6 Jalapeno Peppers
*4 Serrano Peppers
*2 Hot Chili Peppers
8 Tbsp Chili Powder (Home-made from store bought dried Cascabel, Arbol, and Pasilla peppers)
3 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp White Pepper
4 Tbsp Crushed Fresh Garlic
1500 ml (1.5 Liter) Sunset Blush Wine (from wife's Boxo Wine)

A great chili! You can taste all the different meats and peppers used. The ingredients say one hab, and you can taste it! You know that great fresh pepper taste you get from the good hot sauces, this chili has that. The combination of peppers rounds out the flavor nicely. It also has the classic chili flavor... the "no bean" bowl of red. Once you eat this chili you'll never eat chili with beans again.

I received it in a preserves jar. I heated the ol' bad boy on the grill over a handful of coals and dumped it on some fresh chips from a local Mexican joint. Some good orange grease rolled around the bottom of the plate.

I don't like big clumps of ground meat in chili, too many of those and it's like a bowl of meatballs. This chili had a couple clumps, maybe two or three, but the rest was a nice consistency.

The heat is a bit of a tingler but that's it. Chili isn't usually a real scorcher, but this could go up a few notches. I liked that hab flavor from the one hab, I'd say add a few more... or a bushel more ;)

It may have needed a dash of salt. A dash! But maybe you are leaving that up to the consumer.

Seriously though, all the flavors came together, nothing was out of place. The beef, the pork, the different peppers; fresh and dry, the wine... You've got something here AJ!

Heat, from Nada To Naga: 3

Overall: 9 I give it a 9. Minor deduction for a few clumps of meat, and lack of heat.

Attachments

• ajsred.jpg
    ajsred.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 144
I have looked at this recipe several times THP, and from reading it, it sounds like a winner. Here's the only thing I want to know, would you make it yourself?

Good question. I don't like to follow recipes but it's a great blueprint. You can tell he spent a lot of time tinkering with it to get it to where he wanted. Anyone looking to make a real bowl of red should make this once to see how they like it, and then change it to their liking. Myself, I would probably tinker with it the first time a bit, to get the heat up and to add my own twist, but this is a winner.

Good enough for me. I will try it. Maybe I will even enter it in a chili cookoff at Williams Grove Summer Nationals World of Outlaws sprint car races next month. We'll see how it fairs on the east coast, with AJ's blessing of course.

By the way guys, AJ has posted this recipe with cooking instructions as well, so feel free to try it out. The link is next to the ingredients.

AJ, I'm curious about the homemade chili powder. Do you just take equal amounts of those three peppers, and throw them in a spice grinder?

Hey look, it's AJ's birthday, he's gonna wake up and see this review. Glad it was a good one. Enjoy your day.

:bday:

Well buckle my shoes and call me Shirley...

thanks THP for the fine review...makes me proud...

I have to keep the heat down a bit for my wife but now that she is getting heat-unsensitive, I kick the heat up with some of the puree I make...usually Bhut/Naga paste...

and thanks for the Happy BD wishes as well...it's gonna be a good day...

OragamiRN...you are right, the home made chili powder is just ground in equal parts in a coffee grinder

and JayT...have at it my friend...

I am proud to be on this website amongst such good friends....I hope all of you have a great day...

thank ya'll it is being good to me today...got a spotlight award (money) for work I did over the past three weeks...

Back