• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs Superhots and Some Not So Superhot 09-17-08

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
Haven't posted any pics of my superhots and a couple of others in a couple of weeks so I thought I would put up some pics...

Chocolate Habanero

ChocolateHabanero09-17-08.jpg

Dorset Naga

DorsetNaga09-17-08.jpg

7 Pot
7Pot09-17-08.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion

TrinidadScorpion09-17-08.jpg

Continued

Not so superhots....

Red Savina

RedSavina09-17-08.jpg

Red Mushroom

RedMushroom09-17-08.jpg

Tabasco

Tabasco09-17-08.jpg

Deda de Moca

DedaDeMoca09-17-08.jpg

hoping there is NOT an early frost in North Texas

Josh...the tabascos produce tons of peppers....there's probably over 500 on these three plants..

yes sir the McIlhenny...there were three backups that didn't get sunscald and this is the picture of them....they are almost 5 feet tall....and as you see loaded with hot little bullets...gonna get a bunch of pepper sauce off these plants...and thank you for the trade this past season Cappy....by the way...on the other thread with JayT....great article in the paper...

Hey AJ I was just thinking after seeing the dorset nagas how all the really hot peppers seem to be really small. Being that you have a large variety and seem quite knowledgeable on the subject I was wondering if there are and large really hot peppers. Say like the size of an anaheim with the heat of a habanero.

Nice pics AJ it must be nice to get so many harvests. I think I am about done harvesting for the year. Red Savina is a Notsohot??? The former world record holder... my how things have changed so fast.

Looking good AJ.

I've been meaning to ask you how Franks Hot Sweet peppers taste and what kind of heat and production do you get??

Amazing plants AJ! I wish I had a season as long as yours, it's starting to get really cold at night over here. Definitely too cold for the time of the year. Good job!

Thanks all for the compliments on the plants...if I have an early frost, I am screwed...there are probably well over 5000 unripe pods total on all my plants...

Josh said:
Hey AJ I was just thinking after seeing the dorset nagas how all the really hot peppers seem to be really small. Being that you have a large variety and seem quite knowledgeable on the subject I was wondering if there are and large really hot peppers. Say like the size of an anaheim with the heat of a habanero.

I would not go by the size of my peppers to judge the size...it seems that most of my peppers this year in containers have smaller fruit than others on the forum are growing...so far, my superhots are maxing out at about 2 1/2" but there are some here that I think are growing them that get almost 4"....as far as really large superhots, I am not aware of any...some of the more experienced growers here may be able to tell you if there are...

JayT said:
Red Savina is a Notsohot??? The former world record holder... my how things have changed so fast.

IMO, the Red Savinas I am growing are way down the list as far as heat goes...I don't think they are much hotter than my Orange Habs...not saying they are not hot 'cause they are, just not as hot as a Scorpion, 7 Pot, Naga Morich, Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolikia, and the Naga Jolokia (chinense)...again JMO...

skealo said:
Looking good AJ.

I've been meaning to ask you how Franks Hot Sweet peppers taste and what kind of heat and production do you get??

The Franks Hot Sweet are a mild pepper with extremely thick flesh with a great sweet flavor and make excellent stuffers...to me they are hotter than an Anaheim but not as hot as a Jalapeno. They produce a pretty good amount of pods...I have probably been picking about 10-15 a week off three plants since late may...

Thanks AJ.

I've also had smaller peppers and tomatoes that are coming out of pots. My cherry tomatoes are bitter and tiny. My peppers are smaller and the plants aren't as big.

I'm gonna get bigger planters next year.... Or make more raised beds(wonder if the wife likes the tree??)!

Very nice AJ, you definitely have a green thumb. I too was confused when the Red Savina didn't make the superhot list, have you eaten one of them?

I would really enjoy seeing a picture that takes in the entire garden. Judging by the size of these plants you would probably have to stand on something very tall to take it all in.

Thanks AJ.

I just came home for lunch to move a couple of plants for the painters...I will take a few views this afternoon and show you the whole yard....

Back Yard Pictures as Promised 09-18-08

Three pictures of my back yard as requested...there are over 300 pepper plants in 5 gallon containers

Looking East from the northwest corner of my property

091808a003.jpg

Looking SouthEast from the northwest corner of my property...the row closest to the house is called Superhot Row...7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion, Chocolate Hab, Orange Hab, White Hab, Bih Jolokia, Dorset Naga, Fatalii, Devils Tongue, and Naga Morich

091808a001.jpg

Looking South from the northwest corner of my property...

091808a002.jpg

AJ our nighttime low for tonight is supposed to be in the upper 40s how soon do you think I need to cut my habs back and move them in to overwinter them? There are still some pods on there that I am waiting to ripen, but I don't want to lost the plant to gain a few more pods. Anyone else have any idea, chime in. I know it has to be before a frost.

JayT...I cut back the orange hab last year on December 5th....that was after the first frost had killed the tops of the leaves/shoots...

Potawie or someone is much more well qualified to answer that question than I since last year was the first year I had tried to overwinter/grow thru winter.

sorry I can't be any more help my friend...

Back