• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs Superhots and Some Not So Superhot 09-17-08

I would guess that that may give me a month then. We usually have frost by the end of October here. Must be nice to have the growing season you do! I don't know though I like the milder temps I have in PA even if it does cut into my growing season. I hate heat. I hope you are able to harvest all your pods. Oh and if you do send me a 7-Pod can you shoot me a Bhut too? I would like to compare it myself to the Naga Morich while my memory is still fresh. Thanks AJ. Always a pleasure my friend. Oh by the way, I never get tired of looking at pics of your backyard. I think I would sleep out there during the summer. Listening to the pods ripen...

AlabamaJack said:
Three pictures of my back yard as requested...there are over 300 pepper plants in 5 gallon containers...

My God, AJ! I'm very impressed with what you've done.

You've probably mentioned it, but what have you done as far as pest control throughout the life of your peppers?

Do you have a set regimen of treatment? With the results you've had, I can only imagine that you do something to keep the bugs off your plants.

skealo said:
Thanks AJ.

I've also had smaller peppers and tomatoes that are coming out of pots. My cherry tomatoes are bitter and tiny. My peppers are smaller and the plants aren't as big.

I'm gonna get bigger planters next year.... Or make more raised beds(wonder if the wife likes the tree??)!
Hahah. Is that a chainsaw I hear?

AlabamaJack said:
Thanks all for the compliments on the plants...if I have an early frost, I am screwed...there are probably well over 5000 unripe pods total on all my plants...

I would not go by the size of my peppers to judge the size...it seems that most of my peppers this year in containers have smaller fruit than others on the forum are growing...so far, my superhots are maxing out at about 2 1/2" but there are some here that I think are growing them that get almost 4"....as far as really large superhots, I am not aware of any...some of the more experienced growers here may be able to tell you if there are...

IMO, the Red Savinas I am growing are way down the list as far as heat goes...I don't think they are much hotter than my Orange Habs...not saying they are not hot 'cause they are, just not as hot as a Scorpion, 7 Pot, Naga Morich, Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolikia, and the Naga Jolokia (chinense)...again JMO...

The Franks Hot Sweet are a mild pepper with extremely thick flesh with a great sweet flavor and make excellent stuffers...to me they are hotter than an Anaheim but not as hot as a Jalapeno. They produce a pretty good amount of pods...I have probably been picking about 10-15 a week off three plants since late may...
4 inches isn't bad. I mean realistically the hotter you get the less you need a big pod but I was just curious especially after you wrote how you stuffed that 7 pot. Couldn't imagine someone stuffing a chili that hot that is like 8 inches long and then eating it.

Thank you very much AJ, hope I didn't cause any problems with the request.

Your set up is beautiful! The size of the bushes in the rows are fantastic! You've given me a goal for next year. Grow some pepper bushes, not just plants!

Thanks again.

NatGreenMeds said:
You've probably mentioned it, but what have you done as far as pest control throughout the life of your peppers?

Do you have a set regimen of treatment? With the results you've had, I can only imagine that you do something to keep the bugs off your plants.

Safer soap....that's what I found works the best...I fought aphids for the first month or two after plantout and have not had any problem with them for almost three months now without treating with anything....I found out that treating with anything will burn the leaves during our extreme summers...

Josh said:
Hahah. Is that a chainsaw I hear?

would you believe the wife is going to let me plant ornamental peppers in the flower bed around the bradford pear in our front yard this coming year...figure I will plant Little Elfs, Purple Tigers, and probably Diablo Negros...

patrick said:
Thank you very much AJ, hope I didn't cause any problems with the request.

Your set up is beautiful! The size of the bushes in the rows are fantastic! You've given me a goal for next year. Grow some pepper bushes, not just plants!

Thanks again.

no problem at all patrick...all of the plants have gotten a 1/2 gallon of ferts once a week. I am using Vigaro 10-10-10 because the Botanicare products I started with got too expensive for all my plants...

skealo said:
AJ, where did you get the 5 gal containers and how much did you spend per?

got them from my local nursery for a dollar each....they are very thin and are OK for one season but I am not going to use too many of them next year....they are called 5 gallon but only are about 4....they are fine for smaller plants but as you can see, I don't have to many "smaller" plants...next year I want to go to true 5 gallon or 7 gallon containers....

I wish they were that cheap over here. I bought 10 litre (app. 2.5 gallon) buckets for a bit less than a buck here and drilled holes in the bottom, but anything above that would be quite expensive. I guess I'm stuck with them. The only pro is that I need less potting soil, vermiculite etc...

I'm sure your plants will be even more impressive in larger containers AJ, can't wait to see them next year!

Hey AJ awesome to here about the wife allowing you to plant those ornamentals in the front. Should look nice.
I have never heard of the diablo negros. What are they like. Have any pictures?

Josh said:
Hey AJ awesome to here about the wife allowing you to plant those ornamentals in the front. Should look nice.

I coulda told ya that...Texas women are awesome! Aint that right AJ?

Josh said:

When I was collecting my seeds for this seasons planting, I found some seeds on Ebay that were called Diablo Negro and were advertised as the hottest pepper in the world... :lol: ...bought them more as a joke than anything....they have absolutely no heat but make pretty plants...not the best pic but you can see the varigation of the leaves, purple flowers and purple fruit that ripens to red...

DiabloNegro2.jpg

BigDogDaddy said:
I coulda told ya that...Texas women are awesome! Aint that right AJ?

You got that right BDD...she was a Texas girl at heart but didn't know it until I moved her down here from Chicago...

AS usual AJ your pics are awesome. I really like the diablo negro, just something about those purple flowers and peppers looks good in contrast to all the green. That's a nice plant.

Nice plant! Looks good and it's good to see you got what you ordered, well not exactly if they have no heat, but at least the variety you wanted.

by the way...Diablo Negro has got to be a made up name...

I suppose anything is possible...

AlabamaJack said:
by the way...Diablo Negro has got to be a made up name...
http://factcheck.gullible.info/discussion/188/hottest-pepper/

That's the only mention of it I've found...

A couple of the comments are kinda funny.

From fiery-foods.com , the only pepper name with "Negro" in it :

oax_chilhnegro.jpg

Chilhuacle Negro

Two of the Oaxacan chiles most commonly used in moles are the chilhuacles, black and red and both smaller than the ones I saw in the market. ‘Chilhuacle Negro’ measured just 2 inches long and 2 1/4 inches wide, while ‘Chilhuacle Rojo’ was 2 3/4 inches long and 1 ½ inches wide. The word "chilhuacle" seems to mean "crate chile," as "huacal" or ‘guacal" is a vegetable crate. They appear to be related to anchos.

Back