• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Alabama weather wants my seedlings to die...

Planted first round of seedlings a couple of weeks ago. Was planning on hardening them quickly in partial sun and then planting this weekend. My yard doesn't get full on, scathing sun until the middle of May. Of course, now that the seedlings have come up, the weather has been anything but sunny. I know they can still get some light, but it has also been cold and with the random rains I didn't want to risk it. Being a reef tank hobbyist, I had an extra power compact fluorescent light lying around. Yes, it has an actinic bulb but the white bulb is a 10k. Just to see if they would respond to bulbs geared towards promoting coral growth, I propped them up next to my fish tank for 4 hours last night so they could get the weaker light from the edges of the tank (bulb on the current fish tank is a 250w 14k halide). Anyways, they were noticeably greener this morning, and my serranos which had been struggling were looking amazingly better this morning with many new seedlings popping up. So, after some improvising, the wire rack in my closet has two cleared shelves with jiffy starting trays under an aquarium compact florescent light. Hope this works long enough to keep the seedlings from dying before I can transplant. I feel like a high schooler trying to grow pot in his parent's basement, but whatever.

Its all good man!
I grow mine under cheap flouros! real cheap!
The goal is just to keep em alive until we can plant out!
and floro's will keep em alive, they wont sustain them tho.
Good luck!

Kevin

Got to go with what ya got!!

I don't have the magnum grow chamber like some of the others on this forum. I use an old bathroom that I gutted, installed a new furnace and two wire (4 shelves) units with 2 (4' T5 jumpstart light systems) per shelf. I've seen many others go with more lighting than me, but mine setup is working and I'm not complaining.

My goal like yours is to keep them alive and healthy for transplant outside. My ground soil is awesome and that's where I make up the difference. If I can get them about 12" tall or more I'm golden.

Good luck, I'm sure you will do well!!

Back