• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Alaska fish fertilizer and flowering plants questions

I have been using the Alaska 5 1 1 with good results can I continue through the whole season even when it’s fruiting or should I move to a more calcium based food ?

thanks 

Laheat said:
I have been using the Alaska 5 1 1 with good results can I continue through the whole season even when it’s fruiting or should I move to a more calcium based food ?

thanks 
i am no expert on fertilizers but i can tell you that i used that along with the alaska fish pellets and didn`t use anything else for the last two years. i don`t fertilize very frequently. the liquid was added twice during the grow season and the pellets mixed into the top two inches of potting mix twice each year. my grow season is 4.5 to 5 months here in the northeast. the peppers put out plenty of pods. 

Some additional calcium wont hurt but i would just mix it with CNS17 Grow if you want to balance out the nutrient profile a bit better. CNS17 Grow has enough calcium and cost less than CalMag products. Its calcium nitrate based so its readily available to the plant.
CNS17 Grow- N 3.0%, P 1.0%, K 2.0%, Ca 3.0%, Mg 0.5%, Mn 0.005%

If you can get the Alaska brand pellets....you dont need anything else. It has even more calcium.

I gave them one more round last night, my sugar rush overwintered are doing really well with nice amount of peppers already.
Im looking into That cns17. I fed some smaller plants but some of them just dont want to get growing for some reason like my scotch bonnets. Thanks for the insight
For what its worth my scorpion plant is having some blossom drop so well see how that goes

Calcium nitrate is also super cheap and you need very little of it. About a tsp per gallon of water is plenty. Calcium nitrate is 15-0-0 but around 20% fast acting calcium. A gallon of CNS17 Grow is around $30 on Amazon. A quart of DynaGro Foliage Pro is a few bucks cheaper and you use about 1/3 less of it. Either will balance out the fish emulsion if you feel its lacking something.

Alaska recommends around 2tbs per gallon. CNS17 is about 1 tbs. So for a 5gallon bucket i use 6tbs of Alaska and 2 tbs of CNS17. Just reverse it if you want more calcium and less nitrogen. 3tbs CNS17 and 4tbs of Alaska.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Calcium nitrate is also super cheap and you need very little of it. About a tsp per gallon of water is plenty. Calcium nitrate is 15-0-0 but around 20% fast acting calcium. A gallon of CNS17 Grow is around $30 on Amazon. A quart of DynaGro Foliage Pro is a few bucks cheaper and you use about 1/3 less of it. Either will balance out the fish emulsion if you feel its lacking something.

Alaska recommends around 2tbs per gallon. CNS17 is about 1 tbs. So for a 5gallon bucket i use 6tbs of Alaska and 2 tbs of CNS17. Just reverse it if you want more calcium and less nitrogen. 3tbs CNS17 and 4tbs of Alaska.
Thanks I just placed my order :)

Which one you getting?...The CNS17 Grow?...ive used it for a couple years on/off with fish emulsion. Liquid kelp is great also. We are still getting way too much rain for liquids so im grabbing a few bags of Chick N Poo today. Gunna try it on the lawn also and for adding to the compost so its cooks hotter. At $10/25lbs it cheap enough for multiple projects. Cant find Alaska fish/kelp pellets anywhere. :(
ga-chart_1522519335.png

Back