• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

tutorial All about soil - A great resource I thought I would share

Weed seeds dont matter. Just pull em out when they germ and throw em ontop of your soil. Free mulch...lol besides with a constant shovel being rammed into the pile to aerate, living plants dont stand a chance in the compost pile.
Yea he is right, i got my very first compost pile started, its like 3' deep X 5' long X 3' wide and i Turned it first time and you could feel the heat and see like smoke but i tell you imo that was fricken work.. I plan on making another identical one across from this one leaving like a 3' path between them and just transfer instead of "Turning" hoping that idea will work better.

i am waiting to move to a house so i can start a pile! as of right now i use sunshine Growers mix #4 mixed and ancient forrest at 3-1with some orangic fert containing al ittle bit of EVERYTHING! some alfalfa meal, this is what i am starting to use on my new seedlings i just potted up so we will see just how happy they are. the soil sees to drain well so far.

Yeah...a guru that I trust very much even told me that he called them and the person from the company admitted that the ingredients on the bag are not what is really going on...

My rule of thumb....

"if its at lowes or home depot, its not naturally derived"

So I received an email answer from Kathy at Kellogg and she said this:

Hi Mike,

Patio plus is an OMRI certified organic product which does not contain any biosoilds. It's organic meaning it's ingredients contain worm castings, chicken manure and kelp meal. Patio plus is one of my favorite soils.

You may also find that our Eden Valley Potting soil though expensive is also a super high quality potting soil which is only available at Independent Garden Centers. It contains top-shelf organic ingredients like kapok seed meal, seabird guano, and sardine meal to help plants grow vigorously while developing abundant flowers & fruit. You'll find it to be an excellent soil for your plants.

If you should have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Kathy Johnson

Is she not telling the truth? This is interesting.
:think:

So I received an email answer from Kathy at Kellogg and she said this:

Is she not telling the truth? This is interesting.
:think:

I worked in Retail for a few years and I can tell you, not only is she full of shit, but she is Up-selling you to a more expensive product. I have gone through 100s of hours of sales training, and this is what i see:

Hi Mike,

Patio plus is an OMRI certified meaning, We pay a 3rd party company to make us look good.

This morning I had a sales meeting, and apparently we haven't made quota this week, so my boss is telling me to push the more expensive products.

If you should have any other questions, I don't give a shit, but I have to say I do.

Regards,
Kathy Johnson

My boss at the HomeDepot Pro Desk would tell me "Sell or go Home Andrew!"
If I would have made commish at HD I would be a millionaire!

I worked in Retail for a few years and I can tell you, not only is she full of shit, but she is Up-selling you to a more expensive product. I have gone through 100s of hours of sales training, and this is what i see:

That's a pretty bold statement to accuse the woman of lying when you are not sure?
You do know that she, if she so chose to, could sue you for such statements on the web?
Kellogg has been producing soil in this state for almost 90 years, they are a stand-up company.
If she said it is OMRI certified then I believe her unless you have real "proof" other than what you learned at Home Depot. :rolleyes:

That's a pretty bold statement to accuse the woman of lying when you are not sure?
You do know that she, if she so chose to, could sue you for such statements on the web?
Kellogg has been producing soil in this state for almost 90 years, they are a stand-up company.
If she said it is OMRI certified then I believe her unless you have real "proof" other than what you learned at Home Depot. :rolleyes:

You just called a person a troll, "pretty bold statement"

Could you be sued motomike?

You just called a person a troll, "pretty bold statement"

Could you be sued motomike?

No I asked if they were a troll per a question mark at the end of a sentence. On the other hand there is a huge difference in making a character judgement based on ones actions in a forum and saying what someone said is an outright lie without cause.
BTW my screen name never was "motomike" and it reads "CarvinGuitarist" now.

I just bought some cheap potting soil, mixed it 50/50 spag peat, then added vermiculite and perlite. I also added some blood and bone meal, and 5-1-1 fish fertilizer.

I'm growing bhut peppers and trinidad scprpion peppers in large containers with them, is that legit or shoudl i be added something more?

I just bought some cheap potting soil, mixed it 50/50 spag peat, then added vermiculite and perlite. I also added some blood and bone meal, and 5-1-1 fish fertilizer.

I'm growing bhut peppers and trinidad scprpion peppers in large containers with them, is that legit or shoudl i be added something more?

It's going to be hard to tell you what you need if we don't know what you have. What type of "cheap potting" soil did you buy and more importantly why would you buy. What type of growing conditions do you have are you growing from seed?

well lets see...my base for super soils are peat, perlite and compost. Compost is free, 18 lb bag of perlite or verm is $17 and 3.8 bale of peat is $17 at many of my local nurseries or cheaper sometimes. Do the math. The bags of perlite and verm of that wieght are huge and last years. Depending on how much compost one has available the peat could last quite the long time as well. I use one 3.8 bale of peat for 100 gallons of soil. So in the end, making your own soil is much cheaper than buying the pre mixed stuff.

Guru, what is the mixing ratio you use with this?
Is this just for peppers or would this be good for canna as well? ;)

i am waiting to move to a house so i can start a pile! as of right now i use sunshine Growers mix #4 mixed and ancient forrest at 3-1with some orangic fert containing al ittle bit of EVERYTHING! some alfalfa meal, this is what i am starting to use on my new seedlings i just potted up so we will see just how happy they are. the soil sees to drain well so far.

How do you like the #4? I was going to use their #1 for next year at Jim Duffy's recommendation, but the closest "quality" nursery only stocks the #4. On Sungro's site, the two seem fairly comparable as it would relate to peppers.

Regarding the Kellogg Patio Plus, I had some plants in it not do so well. Another member on here had the same experience. I had mixed mine with perlite (2/3 soil : 1/3 perlite). Even with that, a "soil autopsy" showed after about two weeks the bottom half of the pot was very dense and compacted, even with the perlite in it. I've got a few more small plants in cups that need to be potted up, but I don't want to buy any more soil this season. Thinking of mixing left-over MG Moisture Control (2/3) with the Patio Plus (1/3) and see what happens. Oh, and return the unopened bag of Kellogg!

One other thing about the Kellogg Patio Plus. Many, but not all of Kellogg's ferts have the OMRI label on the packaging. I couldn't find it on the Patio Plus bag.

One other thing about the Kellogg Patio Plus. Many, but not all of Kellogg's ferts have the OMRI label on the packaging. I couldn't find it on the Patio Plus bag.

I couldn't either. Maybe they didn't want to reprint the bags? All of my peppers have done well in it overall.

Back