• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

All you need to know about Wally-Bags

I'm using some bags from HEB that are too worn out to use for their intended purpose anymore. I'm counting them as free, since they already served a full useful life as grocery sacks.

It's hot in Bakersfield too :p I think the thickness of the material and depth of the roots will keep it from overheating.

You could wrap it in white plastic or just provide a white cloth skirt for each pot if you're concerned

ColdSmoke said:
A local store carries them. But they can be found online.
I will look at our local stores.. see if they have them.. Ive been following the gardners around in the new developments here taking their pots lol.

Slizarus said:
It's hot in Bakersfield too :P I think the thickness of the material and depth of the roots will keep it from overheating.

You could wrap it in white plastic or just provide a white cloth skirt for each pot if you're concerned
Thanks for the info.   But the black/white 3 gallon bags can be had for 52 cents each to the door and that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks again.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221248687589?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Slizarus said:
It's hot in Bakersfield too :P I think the thickness of the material and depth of the roots will keep it from overheating.

Black isn't ideal, but so long as the cloth can 'breathe', there will be significant evaporative cooling.  This has proven invaluable here in Az.

When you water, make sure the bottom of the bag is getting moist.  Unlike a plastic pot, bags can dry out at the bottom if you water lightly and frequently.  The best procedure I've stumbled upon so far is to water until you get runoff, then leave the plants alone until they start to wilt.  Repeat.

Google cannabags, I found a great DIY on how to use eco felt.  Looks like Joanns fabric has a felt similar to or a little thicker than what the OP used.  I'm going to pick some up this weekend and finish my last 3 pots.

bestia said:
For those with an Academy near by, they have some big ones that hold 15 gal dry for $1
ogcgzm.jpg
I wouldnt use bags that are sewn the sewing will rot out and youll be left with a mess
10309601_10203082762964537_3107753829748987225_n.jpg

have never tried growing in bags ,how well will any of these bags stay upright when out in the yard ?  how intact does the growing medium stay when moving them into the garage ( from storms etc. )  and back out ? bet i moved my containers 30 times last spring . 

moruga welder said:
have never tried growing in bags ,how well will any of these bags stay upright when out in the yard ?  how intact does the growing medium stay when moving them into the garage ( from storms etc. )  and back out ? bet i moved my containers 30 times last spring . 

The bottom tends to get slightly rounded, which can allow big plants to blow over in a modest breeze.  I had to place bricks under one edge of some of the bags to prop them up.  Some stakes or a light lumber box would also work.  So long as the bag is on the ground, blow over damage to plant and bag will be minimal.

Transport with care - the bags are good for a season, but won't withstand a whole lot of handling abuse before they start to tear at the seams.  Don't grab by the lip - use the handles or give the bag a bear hug instead.  Don't trust the handles to support a recently watered (heavy) bag - the handle stitches seem to be the first to go.

Bump

Just so the first season growers can see it. One of the best ways to save money on a grow. This is about the time of the year that the first time growers start flooding THP in droves.

Cayennemist said:
Bump

Just so the first season growers can see it. One of the best ways to save money on a grow. This is about the time of the year that the first time growers start flooding THP in droves.
Yeah im definitely glad i was pointed this way. I went out and bought 13 wally bags the other day. Figure ill do that a dozen times to spread the cost out. Now i gotta plan for a decent fence to take the eye off of 100 wally bags in my backyard lol

Back