Alma Paprika---What is you opinion?

I'm growing it for the first time and harvested and tasted my first pod yesterday. I was underwhelmed with it. It had a sour, tart flavor with no sweetness or pepper flavor. And it was ripe! Is this typical or were my taste buds way off?

Second question, what can you use it for?

Hi

I can't speak for Alma Paprika.  However I have had very similar experiences with first harvests / pods on new plants.  I have picked up first Naga pods with almost no heat.  Sweet peppers such as Sweet Romanian with almost no sweet / complex flavor.  Feeding / watering has much to do with it.  But I find that new plants with first pods is usually off a bit.  When the plant gets into full swing of production then the flavor / and heat stabilizes.  Of course if you can keep the plants alive from season to season then it becomes a non issue from my experience with second season output.  

I hope this helps.  As far as Alma, as i hinted I have never grown it.  So i can't speak of experience growing it.  I have tasted two fresh pods in past and it was a "ok" annuam.  Nothing that made me want to grow it.  Which is strange because it is a very popular pepper and i have many friends that absolutely love it.  

Any one else with advice?

Gabe

Back