• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Alternative Kratky containers?

Hey!

I have been doing the double cup and cup-in-a-jar method for growing peppers for the second year but I've started to dislike cups as the soil retaining canisters. It seems that cut bottles (using the bottle neck as the soil holder) would be neat but I can't figure out how to keep the soil from falling through yet letting through roots.
I've no access to net pots and hydroponic nutrients so I make do with dirt and water+fertilizer. I can get clay pebbles if needed.
What are your suggestions - what alternative are there?

kartupelis said:
It seems that cut bottles (using the bottle neck as the soil holder) would be neat but I can't figure out how to keep the soil from falling through yet letting through roots.

Rock wool? I never have understood the appeal to hydro, do you get better yields?

Yes, that would fit the bill just fine. Must it be some specific (gardening/growing) rock wool or can I use some from construction materials?

I had to look this up, I never thought about it before. Essentially no, they are not the same.

https://towertalk.jiveon.com/thread/1339
The vast majority of stone wool used in the world is used for insulation purposes much like fiberglass. However, the properties of stone wool can be substantially changed by adjusting the mineral content. In the early 1960s it was found that following several modifications to the manufacturing process stone wool would support and, under the right handling practices, promote plant growth. This specially produced horticultural stone wool is what is primarily sold as a hydroponic substrate.

Doing some reading the insulation stuff is either too tough, too acidic or even mildly toxic. Would be interesting as an experiment though.

I've had some success with cutting up a straw into 1inch pieces and wedge the pieces into the neck of the bottle. Depending on medium you using you can use skinny or fat straws. Hold the medium in nicely and a good conduit for roots later on.

KAOS said:
I've had some success with cutting up a straw into 1inch pieces and wedge the pieces into the neck of the bottle. Depending on medium you using you can use skinny or fat straws. Hold the medium in nicely and a good conduit for roots later on.

Sounds promising. Can I ask of you for a sketch or a small section cut to illustrate the taught better? From what I gather, one could cut holes in the bottle neck to pass the straws through for added stability and maybe some added air circulation if one punctures the straw a bit.
I don't really know how much and how dense should the straws be placed and how close to the opening should they be to hold the soil.
Great idea!

Kinda like so

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5931.jpg

KAOS said:
I shall call it the KAOS Kratky Bottle

Keep All Old Straws

Brilliant! I do have to say that I feel as dense and as smart as a brick because I thought you meant to put the straws horizontally creating something like a wired mesh. I have the dumb. Hehe!

I know you mentioned the ease of roots passing through but have you any long-term observations like do the roots push the straws out of the neck over time and do they limit growth? I'm planning on using this method for a prolonged time and would like to know what to look out for.

Thanks a million times for the suggestion!

Danish, your advice, participation and research is highly appreciated also.

You happen to be in luck

Here's a lettuce I was playing around with.

Excuse the condition, but it was just for checking hydro nutrients. First pic was a while back and the other three are tonight (salvaged it for photos)

Straws remained in tact and root structure top and bottom were good. Used course perlite as growing medium and Hydro A&B for nutes.

IMG_5758-1.jpg

IMG_5932.jpg

IMG_5933.jpg

IMG_5935.jpg

Nice! 

I don't have the luxury to use nutrients and perlite but I think I'll opt out with clay pebbles and soil. Will try this ass soon as possible.

Back