• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Amazing frost recovery

Weeks ago, planted before last frost date for area.  Looked at weather report and decided to risk it because I am moving slow and need the extra time.  Frost took out about 60 plants... so I thought.  Been working elsewhere in a different garden, other side of property.  Ignored what I thought were 60 dead plants, no leaves, top of stem browned.  Looked like a plant graveyard.

Most of the plants now have new growth from each of the nodules.  Wow, is like a mini winter over project.

Moral of this story.  Dont give up.

I'm always amazed at how resilient plants are...my wife and i dug up carrots we grew last year...left them in the garage over this last brutally cold winter we had in southern ontario. Went out to the garage the other day and there sprouting greenery in which was a completely dark garage....truly amazing!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Moral of the story...plant out after known last frost date :)
Wasn't really possible this year.  Time considerations.  So when the weather report said jump, I jumped.

afr0n0me said:
What Temps are you calLing frost ?
No clue.  White shiny grass temperatures.

ajdrew said:
Wasn't really possible this year.  Time considerations.  So when the weather report said jump, I jumped.

No clue.  White shiny grass temperatures.

You description of cold is what i see every morning here and my peppers have been outside for a few nights ..... nothing yet. Maybe i'm pushing it hahaha 

afr0n0me said:

You description of cold is what i see every morning here and my peppers have been outside for a few

I described frost as being crunchy grass.  It takes 32 degrees to form.  So willing to bet that your pepper plants are up and above where you are getting those temperatures.  In other words, you must mow your lawn much more often than I do.  Kind of an odd time for this conversation cause my lawn mower just broke.

ajdrew said:
I described frost as being crunchy grass.  It takes 32 degrees to form. 

Be careful with those frost temperatures! It can form above freezing point. I've seen surface frost form on plants in air temperatures around 3 to 5C. The conditions have to be right, but as the early morning sun hits the plants it can cause evaporation of dew on the surface which causes the surface of the plant to cool sufficiently and freeze over.

You can also do the opposite if the temperatures drop below freezing and you don't have time to harvest or cover your crop. I don't know if it would work for peppers but it is used in orchards and vinyards with good success. Set up a constant mist to spray on the plants and as the water freezes in a thin layer on the plants, it releases latent heat and actually keeps a zone of above-freezing temperatures between the plant and the ice layer.

Back